The Shire.....
Admin Offline
The Boss
Wasps, rats and magpies are partial to ripe cobs here
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • mcdood

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(23-03-2021, 10:15 AM)Vinny Wrote: I have a plastic Red Squirrel as an ornament in the garden but now the sun has faded the colours and it looks like a grey squirrel.  Rolleyes

Just thought I would drop that useless bit of information in. Blush

Use it for target practice Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Broadway Offline
(04-03-2021, 04:37 PM)Vinny Wrote: Are you going to put up posts and wires for the raspberries Danny?

I am planning to put a couple of posts in with wires similar to the piccie I uploaded. I had them growing like this on my other plot with alternate canes being trained to opposite wires. Its handy for picking and stops them turning into a thicket. Smile
Hi Vinny

How tall were you intending the posts, also what gap have you used between the wires??

Thanks VinnySmile
Regards..........Danny Smile

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(25-03-2021, 01:59 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(04-03-2021, 04:37 PM)Vinny Wrote: Are you going to put up posts and wires for the raspberries Danny?

I am planning to put a couple of posts in with wires similar to the piccie I uploaded. I had them growing like this on my other plot with alternate canes being trained to opposite wires. Its handy for picking and stops them turning into a thicket. Smile
Hi Vinny

How tall were you intending the posts, also what gap have you used between the wires??

Thanks VinnySmile
Utilise whatever you have lying round Danny. 6 foot posts with 1 foot burried (Ideally concreted ) Bottom cross piece 1 foot long, top cross piece roughly 2 foot long. You can of course put a diagonal cross brace on the inside at each end to brace the posts and get the wires tight. Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
An update/diary for me, plus anyone else remotely interestedSmile

The raspberry support is now ready, all bits used I had already so all good. To extend the height I've banged stakes at either end, the main supports will screw onto these during the growing season. Don't feel you need to cross yourself when looking at the 2nd photo2SmileSmile

I also planted some perennial veg, 4 walking stick cabbage, and 1 each of Nine Star Broccoli & Taunton Deane Kale, probably messed the spacing up, time will tell!

The cage/netting was cobbled together with bits I've had for years! I appreciate the veg will hopefully outgrow it, then plan B will kick inSmile
The copper tape ring thingys I've also had for years!

[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, mcdood, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Looks very professional Danny, weeding my raspberries today made me think my supports could be a lot stronger. I fear I'm not ruthless enough with the raspberries growing outside their allotted space.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • mcdood, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(30-03-2021, 05:19 PM)JJB Wrote: Looks very professional Danny, weeding my raspberries today made me think my supports could be a lot stronger.  I fear I'm not ruthless enough with the raspberries growing outside their allotted space.
Thanks Jen

All I need now is for them to growSmileSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • mcdood, Vinny

Broadway Offline
An update/diary for me, plus anyone else remotely interestedSmile

Took over the cardboard I acquired yesterday.

Prepped the parsnip bed today although I need to eat a few more yogurts! The pots are just markers, as I sow a chitted seed I will remove the pot.

I also laid out 3 more pallet collars(still need to level), which I will layer with grass clippings, cardboard, leaves, and compost, not necessarily in that order. I decided to leave the ground around these ones bare so it will be interesting to see how many weeds come through! So far I've allocated one for brussels and another for the zebrunes.

[-] The following 7 users Like Broadway's post:
  • doublyjonah, Eyren, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Danny, you are better organised than me. I am creating beds with only a very vague idea what I will be putting in them. Like me you seem to be putting a lot of time and effort into the plot, so fair play to you.  Smile
Keep up the good work, I am enjoying looking at your achievements. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Broadway Offline
(31-03-2021, 06:50 PM)Vinny Wrote: Danny, you are better organised than me. I am creating beds with only a very vague idea what I will be putting in them. Like me you seem to be putting a lot of time and effort into the plot, so fair play to you.  Smile
Keep up the good work, I am enjoying looking at your achievements. Cool
Thank you Vinny

I get help from my spreadsheetSmile

That said I think the contents of beds has changed about a dozen times, also the 3 additional pallet collars were due to lack of planning.

It's certainly a work in progress and hopefully I'll have the plot to enjoy for a few years.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Vinny