The Shire.....
Broadway Offline
Took the first 4 beds this morning, walked them over 1 at a time done 10k steps already, knackered now! Smile

I will be levelling them tomorrow then filling with cardboard the grass cuttings. Then hoping to get a job lot of manure once all the beds are in place.

You can also see my cucurbits forest in the background!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Its no good asking me to comment on your plan, Danny - I'm a "bung 'em in wherever there's room" person.Wink
Will you be growing peas - as they're not on your plan.

Do you need a GH on the plot? GH plants need more watering than outdoor plants so you may need to be there every day in summer.
I've covered some GH frames with debris netting to make a fruit/brassica cage that is birdproof and it doesn't need watering.
Just a thought, if you're wary of glass on site.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(17-07-2020, 05:19 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its no good asking me to comment on your plan, Danny - I'm a "bung 'em in wherever there's room" person.Wink
Will you be growing peas - as they're not on your plan.

Do you need a GH on the plot? GH plants need more watering than outdoor plants so you may need to be there every day in summer.
I've covered some GH frames with debris netting to make a fruit/brassica cage that is birdproof and it doesn't need watering.
Just a thought, if you're wary of glass on site.
Hiya Veggie,

I've been avidly waiting for your “I just bung it in response” so thanks for not disappointing Smile

Funny you mention peas I was only thinking that I'd missed them off. I've not really grown them before but I suppose now or never!

Fair point regards the GH, I attempted to use the frame for the beans this year, unfortunately the beans failed miserably. Tbh a daily visit wouldn't be a hardship so I should look at using it to it full potential and free up space in our very small yardSmile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
A couple of photos of my perfectly designed cucurbit patch, I've renamed it "A homage to Veggie (or just bung it in where there’s space)Smile"

[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

SarrissUK Offline
Looks lovely and well organised! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
Another 4 beds in this week.

I've layered them with tree chippings, cardboard, then grass cuttings, getting the manure in the next week to two.

Everything sourced for free apart from the manure.

Once the other 8 are in situ I'll strim and level the paths as best as I can do. Should then have enough membrane to line the paths.
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah, JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-07-2020, 11:59 AM)Broadway Wrote: Another 4 beds in this week.

I've layered them with tree chippings, cardboard, then grass cuttings, getting the manure in the next week to two.

Everything sourced for free apart from the manure.

Once the other 8 are in situ I'll strim and level the paths as best as I can do. Should then have enough membrane to line the paths.
Looks amazing - that is a lot of work completed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Looking good Danny old chap Wink
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Broadway Offline
Thought I was due an update of sorts.

Things still growing in the plot are chard, parsnips(I think), leeks(slowly), a fast weedsSmile

Weeded and planted up the asparagus bed today. These were sown from seed earlier in the year so a bit of time to go!!

Strawberry bed...These are 2 years old so will be ditched this year(fruit was crap this year), I have 25 potted runners to go into a couple of new beds. This bed is going to be used for the Nine Star Broccoli and Taunton Deane Kale, I hope this is enough space!

The last "big bed" currently has leeks in, when this is eventually emptied I will also plant it with something perennial. That way the 3 beds at the front of the plot will all be dedicated to perennial veg.

The GH frame was used for beans this year and will be in subsequest years. The covered area to the left will be used for trailing squashes and the area in front courgettes (as it was this year).

The next picture shows the new pallet collars I'm using as small raised beds, 12 so far, 4 more to go in once the chard is finished. The 12 have been layered with chippings, cardboard, grass cuttings, manure, and leaves, and covered with weed membrane. The green uncovered one has comfrey in, topped up with leaves for now.

The last couple are general pictures, I intend to use the GH frame as a fruit cage.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

• Admin, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Oooh! I do like pictures of other people's plots. It's like sitting on the top deck of the bus and comparing the height of other people's beans with your own. A p*ssing contest? You bet!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Broadway