2020/21 - What's made you happy today?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(19-04-2021, 08:16 PM)Can the Man Wrote: I dug some carrots yesterday, they had lots of greenery but the carrots were not very big, I brought them in and washed them then put them in the steamer. They were inedible as the centre was as hard as rock, looked at some raw ones and found something similar, so I pulled them all and dumped them n the composter. I checked one of the other carrot beds and found they were ‘Normal’. One observation was the inedible ones had loads of side roots almost like hair growing from them.

I had some like that Can, I think they were some i tried to overwinter outside.  I've no idea why they were like that though.  You're not alone.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(20-04-2021, 09:47 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-04-2021, 08:16 PM)Can the Man Wrote: I dug some carrots yesterday, they had lots of greenery but the carrots were not very big, I brought them in and washed them then put them in the steamer. They were inedible as the centre was as hard as rock, looked at some raw ones and found something similar, so I pulled them all and dumped them n the composter. I checked one of the other carrot beds and found they were ‘Normal’. One observation was the inedible ones had loads of side roots almost like hair growing from them.

I had some like that Can, I think they were some i tried to overwinter outside.  I've no idea why they were like that though.  You're not alone.
Glad to hear I’m not alone Jay
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
What's made me happy today? My husband!

After 40 years we rub along together happily most of the time but occasionally fall out (windowsills?). He gets frustrated a bit, especially over tech since his stroke a few years ago because he's not as sharp mentally nor as dextrous as he once was but between us we overcome most things. Why has he made me happy - and dare I say it proud. Two things.

No. 1. Well, I went nextdoor to collect their shopping list as usual and was asked to sort out the rucked up carpet in two places. Did one bit easily under the standard armchair, then looked under the riser/recliner. About 9" of carpet and underlay had got dragged inbetween the frame and mechanism with not a snowball's chance in Hades of pulling it out by hand. Cue P to help. We upended the chair and couldn't get the carpet out and to cut a very long story short, after not really knowing what we were doing undid some really well torqued bolts, hoping we could get it back together after, managed to ease the carpet out. All credit to P, as I couldn't figure which bolts to undo let alone physically loosen them. All sorted, saving the oldies a fortune, if indeed they could have found anyone to do it.

No. 2. I mentioned he was looking at a temperature recorder. Unbeknownst to me he ordered it, having got the message I was stressing about temps in the gh. We set it up (with a bit of a faff) in the gh last night and it's a wonderful thingy. He's over the moon because it works - another bit of kit he bought on the same day was rubbish and a disappointment, so something working was a bonus. I'll start a new thread about the temperature thingy if anyone's interested.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhoea .
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 8 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Spec, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Two slow worms in the garden and 60 free used paving slabs diverted from the tip. We need 12 so what to do with rest?!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 7 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Spec Offline
I am looking for some slabs PP will be happy to take them off your hands, so just bring them over and if I'm not in just leave behind the front gateSmile
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Spec Offline
Was outside cleaning and putting out the summer seats, when a flock of geese went overhead, there were 80 to 100 in the flight, so good to see, its becoming quite a rare site nowadays, yet when I was a lot younger you would always see several flights of that size along with a good number of smaller ones,
Though seeing them this morning made me happy, I am also sad at the damage we have eone
[-] The following 5 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(23-04-2021, 12:50 PM)Spec Wrote: Was outside cleaning and putting out the summer seats, when a flock of geese went overhead, there were 80 to 100 in the flight, so good to see, its becoming quite a rare site nowadays, yet when I was a lot younger you would always see several flights of that size along with a good number of smaller ones,
Though seeing them this morning made me happy, I am also sad at the damage we have 
I hope you were wearing your cap or hat Spec, don’t want them geese dropping a surprise on your head  Cry Judging by the size of the mess they leave in my front garden when they come visiting  Angry   Angry
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Every day recently, there's been a song thrush singing its little beak off in the Holly/Hawthorn/Hazel trees at the end of the garden. Try as I will, I can't find a pattern to the phrases he sings, each one repeated twice then on to another few bars (of music, not drinks). Nor can I memorise any of the tunes but they're all beautiful and incredibly loud, for such a small bird.
Hope he's there again tomorrow. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(23-04-2021, 12:42 PM)Spec Wrote: I am looking for some slabs PP will be happy to take them off your hands, so just bring them over and if I'm not in just leave behind the front gateSmile

Sorry, misread that.
Explains why they're still outside my front gate Wink

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
A juvenile grass snake in the pond and a sparrowhawk calling close by in the woods.

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie