Vinny's Allotment Plot
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Nettle seeds must last indefinitely in the soil. They still germinate in my small greenhouse that i have had for about 40 years and they have never seeded in that time.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A bed of nettles is a sign that the ground has been disturbed at some time - its something that archaeologists look for when surveying the land for signs of human habitation.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-06-2024, 09:33 PM)Veggie Wrote: A bed of nettles is a sign that the ground has been disturbed at some time - its something that archaeologists look for when surveying the land for signs of human habitation.
..............usually the human habitations netty! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(22-06-2024, 10:41 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(22-06-2024, 09:33 PM)Veggie Wrote: A bed of nettles is a sign that the ground has been disturbed at some time - its something that archaeologists look for when surveying the land for signs of human habitation.

Is that where it gets its name?
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(23-06-2024, 08:36 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(22-06-2024, 10:41 PM)Vinny Wrote:

Is that where it gets its name?
9. NETTY

Another Geordie word that might have continental relatives is netty, which has been used as another word for a toilet since the early 1800s. According to one theory at least, netty might come from an Italian word for latrines or public conveniences, gabbinetti.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...m-11601646

• JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I did wonder what Vinny was on about, but was too polite to ask. Not a word us southerners use.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Back at plot today.

Harvested my elephant garlic. Tickled the bed over with a fork then added manure from a heap close by which I wastold was for all plothoders to use if they wanted.
Because I am of the persuasion "Owt for nowt" I thought I would use some to surround my diminutive pumpkin,squash and courgette plants both to keep soil moist, water through muck to feed them and lastly because muck was piled higher than the plants it may stop them from getting battered by the wind? We shall see. I did re-planrt some cucurbits into places they hadn't taken. Gawd knows what I have now as labels have blow away and transplants are mixed up! Blush

I then weeded my swede trial plants. As can be seen by the piccie Marian swedes seem to be the best of the bunch. The pigeons have hammered them as well and I doubt the three little windmills I added to the row will bother them. Once again, we shall see!

Lastly I harvested some broad beans leaving the roots in the soil. I then added some muck to that section as well as I didn't want to harvest all the beans yet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Elephant garlic looks fantastic. Something I’ve never tried growing. It’s on my list
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-07-2024, 06:11 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Elephant garlic looks fantastic. Something I’ve never tried growing. It’s on my list
I'll send you some cloves, when I dig mine up.
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-07-2024, 10:01 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 06:11 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Elephant garlic looks fantastic. Something I’ve never tried growing. It’s on my list
I'll send you some cloves, when I dig mine up.
Thank you  Heart
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie