Scarlets Cut Flower Patch 2022/23/24
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
What variety did you get? Eucalyptus are fast growing trees, when they start. They came up within a couple of weeks. I had a book for Christmas on eucalyptus growing by Hilary collins "Fantastic Foliage and how to grow it - the essential guide on growing eucalyptus" its a really good read.
Unfortunately with the cold we had this year my trees didnt stand a chance - I think they are expected to live to -10 - -15 but Im also in a windy spot so think that didnt help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-03-2023, 09:32 AM)Scarlet Wrote: What variety did you get? Eucalyptus are fast growing trees, when they start. They came up within a couple of weeks. I had a book for Christmas on eucalyptus growing by Hilary collins "Fantastic Foliage and how to grow it - the essential guide on growing eucalyptus" its a really good read.
Unfortunately with the cold we had this year my trees didnt stand a chance - I think they are expected to live to -10 - -15 but Im also in a windy spot so think that didnt help.
Finally remembered to look. I’ve got eucalyptus small - leaved gum.  I’ve just sown some on your recommendation, rather then wait till the new garden is ready. So if they germinate we can do a eucalyptus swap, if you like.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
That would be fab!
  • Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
Got my cheapo MrT ranunculus sprouted - all sitting on my kitchen floor taking up too much space - annoying me and trademark.
How soon can I move them to an unheated greenhouse Scarlet??
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(20-03-2023, 07:18 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Got my cheapo MrT ranunculus sprouted - all sitting on my kitchen floor taking up too much space  - annoying me and trademark.
They like the cold - so if they have sprouted they will be fine in the greenhouse
  • JJB

Farendwoman Offline
(20-03-2023, 09:20 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(20-03-2023, 07:18 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Got my cheapo MrT ranunculus sprouted - all sitting on my kitchen floor taking up too much space  - annoying me and trademark.
They like the cold - so if they have sprouted they will be fine in the greenhouse
Brilliant -thank you!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Proserpina, Scarlet

Farendwoman Offline
Very surprised to see how cheap ranunculus are (as plants) in the Garden Centre today.
Had an hour and a half wandering while ® went to watch his first ever football match. Only took him 70 years!
Whopping big plants, smothered in great big flowers - six for £9.99!
Mine have only just sprouted and are sporting a few leaves.
Everything else I looked at seemed VERY expensive!
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have seen a few ranunculus in the shops too... though often they don't have the fuller petals? I was nearly tempted a few days ago to buy some to see... I resisted as these have taken some time to grow!

My first buds this weekend....

Sweet rocket

Foxgloves

Eryngium

Canterbury bells
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My achillea bed... hoping i get to cut lots from this. Though I know it can sometimes suffer with black fly.

I am trying to grow more perennials for cutting. These are my lupins so far - unfortunately a few withered away over the winter. Im filling tge gaps with sedum cuttings

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Very impressed with your achillea bed- looks fabulous. Waiting to see it once it’s in full flower please
I can only fit in about 15 plants - all survivors from last year. Vintage Violet was one of my favourites and also Cloth of Gold.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie