Tin openers
Spec Offline
I have had a hand held tin opener for years, still works well as I use it to remove of cans with a ring pull and rimmed base, the base plate can then be dropped into the can and rest on the rim circle and the can then be used as a pop out plant potSmile
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Veggie, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
I have one from that Swedish shop, which, like most Swedish can openers, open them from the top. The real benefit of that is that there's no shart edges on the tin - it just pops up the circular lid from inside the top, if that makes sense.

I never understood why you guys cut off the top edge of the tin here lol
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
My collection of tin openers included those that cut  inside the lid rim or below the rim. Whichever way, there was always a thin edge that would attack me! This new one, rolls both edges under so there are no sharp edges. Much safer when you're as cack-handed as I am. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
I've got a scar all the way across my right thumb print where I cut it on a tin of tuna.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(29-01-2022, 01:20 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I've got a scar all the way across my right thumb print where I cut it on a tin of tuna.
Not going to 'like' this post, just cringe! Cry

I have Amazon Prime which I sometimes watch on telly. It has saved me on postage costs many times as I always check if I can get stuff from Amazon with free postage before ordering anywhere else. Amazon is usaually next day delivery as well. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
(28-01-2022, 11:17 PM)Veggie Wrote: I remember those, JJB. Think I moved house and left it on the wall somewhere!

I was tight and brought mine with me  Big Grin it could have been mounted in a more convenient place though, I blame P.  As he does the washing up, I'm not too concerned with sharp edges, I think he finds the ring pull cans the most dangerous ones. Now you see, me with my dainty little hands would be a numpty and put my whole hand in a tin and cut myself to shreds, he with his mahoosive mitts uses a brush, not sure who wins this intelligence test   Rolleyes
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
(29-01-2022, 12:08 AM)SarrissUK Wrote: I have one from that Swedish shop, which, like most Swedish can openers, open them from the top. The real benefit of that is that there's no shart edges on the tin - it just pops up the circular lid from inside the top, if that makes sense.

I never understood why you guys cut off the top edge of the tin here lol
Mine are like that Sarriss they bought from the local hardware shop just basic metal ones,  a couple in the house then one for camping they seem to work well enough.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
My new tin opener is awaiting me in the locker just down the road. I was too tired to go and pick it up today so I will collect it and test it out tomorrow. I accidentally bought four tins of beans with no ring pulls when I first moved into my house, so I can put it to good use right away!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, SarrissUK, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
It's been delivered, but it's a bluetooth accessible Amazon locker rather than one where you input a code. I have now spent about 2.5 hours trying to make the app work and it just won't accept that I have location turned on in my phone settings already. Amazon customer support just said to try again in "sometime". No idea if I'm ever going to be able to get in, which is frustrating as it's usually really handy having Amazon lockers nearby.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 3 users Like Proserpina's post:

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
How annoying! Another reason for me NOT to join Prime - anything that needs a phone is beyond me.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man