Tin openers
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
After struggling with a blunt tin opener I needed a new one.
There was a battery operated one in the drawer so I loaded it up with batteries and away it went, shuddering and juddering its way around the  can. It opened it OK but it left a murderously sharp edge and a tin that lacked stability. Unfortunate really because it was a tin of tuna and the brine squirted and spilled out leaving a smell that only tuna is capable of doing.

The Moneyless Chicken reluctantly spent money and bought a new opener https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lantana-Safety-...ast_sto_dp
It opens tins effortlessly and rounds the edges so that they're safe to touch. You can even put the lid back on the tin after opening if you want to keep the contents covered.

If you need a tin opener, I recommend this one. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I am actually in need of a tin opener. I have got used to only buying tins with ring-pulls in the last year and a half, but some things only come in tins without so it's time I got another.

Does this one look like it will last a long time? I don't really want to get one with a plastic handle if it's going to be useless in a couple of years.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
No idea how long it will last, sorry , I've only had it 2 days!!
The long handle is only there to steady it on the tin, the turn handle operates the cutting blades. You don't squeeze 2 handles together like most openers. The instructions tell you not to submerge it in water but to clean it with a damp cloth, to avoid water getting inside the moving parts.
I really like the smooth edges as I've cut myself several times on tins, especially when washing them out for recycling.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
For being 'Moneyless' you seem to spend a lot of money? Tongue

I bought a new tin opener recently from a hardwae store for about £4.50. It looked similar to my old one which has a broken handle. The new one is crap, and only opens some of the cans but not others. So now I have two can openers, a new one which sometimes works and an old one which opens the tins the new one won't! Rolleyes Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I've had poor experiences with the all-metal ones in the past. They never seem to last very long so I've been struggling to weigh up the environmental cost of different ones.

I will take a punt on this one - thanks Veggie Big Grin

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had 5 tin openers in the house - 2 battery ones that were my Mum's (both useless),. 2 heavier metal with plastic coated handles (both blunt) and one old fashioned metal one that was in the garage. I've kept that one as a standby, but haven't tried it - the other 4 have been binned.
If the new one lasts me a few years and I don't end up in A&E after using it , I'll consider it money well spent. After all, when you have 48 tins of tuna, you need a tin opener that works. Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
PS I bought the new one on EBay because it was free P&P https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=...r&_sacat=0
Amazon wanted me to sign up to Pr1me which I'm not prepared to do.
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I have Prime already (for the TV streaming, I don't buy enough from them to justify the delivery cost saving) and there are delivery lockers 2 minutes down the road from me, so buying from Amazon will actually work out well for me. I much prefer using the lockers for small things as I hate waiting in for parcels.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Your new one looks fascinating. My old wall mounted windy handle one has lasted at least 30yrs and is still going strong so I've no excuse to buy a new one Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I remember those, JJB. Think I moved house and left it on the wall somewhere!
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny