Vacuum sealer
MartinH Offline
(29-04-2024, 08:29 AM)JJB Wrote:
(28-04-2024, 08:54 AM)MartinH Wrote: We replaced ours last year with an Amazon Basics model. It works just fine.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Basics-M...ref=sr_1_3

Thanks Martin, I'll put that one on the list. Where do you source new bags?

I think we bought the last roll off Amazon. It was a while ago Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like MartinH's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If anyone's interested Lidl have one on sale soon. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/silvercrest-vac...Sales_Week

They have Rolls too https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/silvercrest-vac...Sales_Week
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(25-07-2024, 09:20 PM)Veggie Wrote: If anyone's interested Lidl have one on sale soon. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/silvercrest-vac...Sales_Week

They have Rolls too https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/silvercrest-vac...Sales_Week

I have the pamphlet page pinned up near the shopping list. I'll be getting one next week, I hope.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Right!

I have a new Lidl vacuum sealer and extra rolls of film. I also have beans that could be frozen. What's the opinion on blanching before vacuuming. I will obviously do a comparison in time but thought I would pick everyone's brains as well.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Goodo, another Sealer novice joins the GanG. I still haven't tried mine. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’d blanch. Then dry them as much as possible.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Today I've actually tried the same type of bean both blanched and unblanched and frozen them. I find that blanched beans can be slithery with an outer skin sloughing off. We don't necessarily mind that but of course prefer them fresh. It could be I blanch too long. I feel an experiment coming on. I suspect the variety of bean may be another variable.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(29-07-2024, 06:52 PM)JJB Wrote: Today I've actually tried the same type of bean both blanched and unblanched and frozen them. I find that blanched beans can be slithery with an outer skin sloughing off. We don't necessarily mind that but of course prefer them fresh. It could be I blanch too long. I feel an experiment coming on. I suspect the variety of bean may be another variable.
How long do you blanch for?
I put them straight into boiling water (not in the pan while it comes up to boiling point) for 2 minutes max. Then instantly refresh them in cold water. Or they just keep cooking a bit while cooling down. Keep changing the water or keep water running over them until cold. When using them I just treat them like any frozen vegetable. Cook from frozen and not for long as they’re partially cooked from the blanching. 

Apologies if I’ve just told you how to suck eggs  Blush   Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-07-2024, 07:30 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(29-07-2024, 06:52 PM)JJB Wrote: Today I've actually tried the same type of bean both blanched and unblanched and frozen them. I find that blanched beans can be slithery with an outer skin sloughing off. We don't necessarily mind that but of course prefer them fresh. It could be I blanch too long. I feel an experiment coming on. I suspect the variety of bean may be another variable.
I put them straight into boiling water (not in the pan while it comes up to boiling point) for 2 minutes max. Then instantly refresh them in cold water. Or they just keep cooking a bit while cooling down. Keep changing the water or keep water running over them until cold. When using them I just treat them like any frozen vegetable. Cook from frozen and not for long as they’re partially cooked from the blanching. 

Yep, no apologies needed, nice to have my way confirmed. The books etc all say put in iced water but I never have enough ice so its cold from the tap and refresh.
Greetings from Salisbury

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-07-2024, 07:30 PM)Small chilli Wrote:

Just out of curiosity  SC, do you bring back to the boil and then time, or start timing the 2 mins as soon as you plonk the beans in?
Greetings from Salisbury