Vinny's Allotment Plot
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-01-2021, 11:41 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(15-01-2021, 11:26 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(15-01-2021, 10:54 AM)Veggie Wrote: The man who wants equal width beds, running parallel to each other on his plot thinks other people's plans are boring!!!Wink
I like the well established premise of 4 foot beds with 2 foot paths in between its just hard to do something different with it, hence the chevron/herringbone plan.

Each to there own.
I do like random cottage type planting as well but its not a thing you would plan for, it just sort of evolves.

The beauty of not using 'sided' beds is that a semi-formal plan can evolve when the beds aren't 'cast in stone'

My path isn't central on the plot so one side is wider than the other. this will make it look less formal, whether this is a good thing or not I am not sure?. I may just concentrate on fishboning one side this year to see how that works out?

Which direction do I chevron it is my first thought, do I want the head of the fish at the gate or vice versa?? Decisions, decision? Big Grin

I could chevron one side and go boring or random on tuther......now there's a thought.
I like the idea but unfortunately because I could get evicted at any time I choose the pallet collars as raised beds. That way if I were to be evicted I'll just fold them up and take them somewhere elseSmile
Danny, what actions cause eviction, and why do you fear it.  Are you a rebel?Smile
I've never had an allotment so don't know the rules, is the tenancy of an allotment so fragile?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Vinny

Broadway Offline
(15-01-2021, 12:00 PM)JJB Wrote:
(15-01-2021, 10:54 AM)Veggie Wrote: The man who wants equal width beds, running parallel to each other on his plot thinks other people's plans are boring!!!Wink
I like the well established premise of 4 foot beds with 2 foot paths in between its just hard to do something different with it, hence the chevron/herringbone plan.

Each to there own.
I do like random cottage type planting as well but its not a thing you would plan for, it just sort of evolves.

The beauty of not using 'sided' beds is that a semi-formal plan can evolve when the beds aren't 'cast in stone'

My path isn't central on the plot so one side is wider than the other. this will make it look less formal, whether this is a good thing or not I am not sure?. I may just concentrate on fishboning one side this year to see how that works out?

Which direction do I chevron it is my first thought, do I want the head of the fish at the gate or vice versa?? Decisions, decision? Big Grin

I could chevron one side and go boring or random on tuther......now there's a thought.
I like the idea but unfortunately because I could get evicted at any time I choose the pallet collars as raised beds. That way if I were to be evicted I'll just fold them up and take them somewhere elseSmile
Danny, what actions cause eviction, and why do you fear it.  Are you a rebel?Smile
I've never had an allotment so don't know the rules, is the tenancy of an allotment so fragile?
My rebel days are well behind me Jen, unless watching footballSmileSmile

The plots are actually private.

The row I live on was specifically built for the miners and each house was allocated a plot. As time went by houses were sold, some including the plots some not (I think some people held onto them in the hope the land would be sold off for housing)

Anyway mine is "without" plot. We have however been able to "borrow" one from someone who's late Dad used to live in the row. We are very grateful to the lady but you can obviously not be 100% sure they will want it back one day.

p.s.  Vinny, sorry about hijacking your thread!!
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(15-01-2021, 12:28 PM)Broadway Wrote:

Each to there own.

The row I live on was specifically built for the miners and each house was allocated a plot. As time went by houses were sold, some including the plots some not (I think some people held onto them in the hope the land would be sold off for housing)

Anyway mine is "without" plot. We have however been able to "borrow" one from someone who's late Dad used to live in the row. We are very grateful to the lady but you can obviously not be 100% sure they will want it back one day.

You aren't hijacking the thread Danny, just expanding it, as I usually do with everyone else's thread! Big Grin

If your beds weren't sided you wouldn't need to worry about leaving the frames. I inherited some of those frames you have and I've had nowt but bother with them rotting, warping and springing apart.Problem is that I have crops in them, strawbs in two (hopefully they will transplant? Carrots in two which will be done by April,Parnips in one likewise and after a sweetcorn crop in one I planted japanese onions (which should move).
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Vinny Offline
(15-01-2021, 12:00 PM)Veggie Wrote: I think the chevrons direction should align with the sun so they cast less shade on the next chevron.
Also, if its  herringbone, how about a round, fisheye bed at the head?
I see where you are coming from Veggie but my plot is aligned roughly North/South. It is a square plot with an offset path and a greenhouse and shed at the bottom.I also have a very small sitting out area which I would like to keep.

If it was fish shaped I would deffo have a fish eye bed though. Big Grin

It will probably work out with triangular beds at each side of the gate and the opposite corners methinks?

Broadway Offline
(15-01-2021, 01:01 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(15-01-2021, 12:28 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(15-01-2021, 11:26 AM)Vinny Wrote: I like the well established premise of 4 foot beds with 2 foot paths in between its just hard to do something different with it, hence the chevron/herringbone plan.

Each to there own.

You aren't hijacking the thread Danny, just expanding it, as I usually do with everyone else's thread! Big Grin

If your beds weren't sided you wouldn't need to worry about leaving the frames. I inherited some of those frames you have and I've had nowt but bother with them rotting, warping and springing apart.Problem is that I have crops in them, strawbs in two (hopefully they will transplant? Carrots in two which will be done by April,Parnips in one likewise and after a sweetcorn crop in one I planted japanese onions (which should move).
I know you like an expansionSmile

Regards the collars that's why I'm hoping by treating them they will last 4 - 5 years, probably as long as meSmileSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
This you tube video is something similar to what I am trying to achiewe (if I ever get started) the only difference is my soil has already bean worked and my beds will be twice as wide as the paths 4 foot-2 foot so the beds will only be half as high as the depth I dig.

Oh, and they will be on a diagonal of course. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/tay9Mi7XM4U
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet

Vinny Offline
More research and I am gradually whittling down the plans I have for the plot but not 100% there yet. Rolleyes

I was at the plot this morning to pick up some seed trays and potss and paced it out while I was there.. Two areas either side of a paved path. One side is  5 metres X 12 Metres and the other side is 7 metres x 12 metres with greenhouse and shed after that.My previous guestinmate was only off on the length by 2 metres being 12 not 10.

Tending to veer towards the 2 foot diagonal beds at mo, but we shall see.

Everything is frozen solid and a rat has been in the shed and made a nest from some fleece I had. Lots of hand washing when I got home! Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are you sure about the length of your "pace". "Paces" used to be approx a yard, a metric pace would be 39". On uneven/frosty ground your pace may not be a standard one.
With little legs my pace is much less than 39". According to the kitchen floor tiles, its less than 2' - about half a metre. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Vinny Offline
(25-01-2021, 01:42 PM)Veggie Wrote: Are you sure about the length of your "pace". "Paces" used to be approx a yard, a metric pace would be 39". On uneven/frosty ground your pace may not be a standard one.
With little legs my pace is much less than 39". According to the kitchen floor tiles, its less than 2' - about half a metre. Smile
I did 'John Cleese' paces which are a metre. Tongue

When I first started working on a Sports ground which had eleven rugby and football pitches my boss and I went out to mark them out. "Where's the tape sez I?" "Just follow me son he sez and stick a peg in where I put a heel mark in the turf."

When he retired I took over and started using a tape measure. I was surprised to find that his markings were spot on!

The only problem was that all the pitches were parallelograms as they hadn't been squared off. Referees used to pace the dimensions and couldn't understand that the sides and ends of a parallelogram can be the same size but the pitch can be a mile out of square! Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Where's the video of the silly walks? Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.