Vinny's Allotment Plot
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just been trying to work things out to give me roughly 4 foot (1m) wide beds and 2 foot paths I need to start at the top fence and measure 70 cms then 140cms down the plot, which when struck out at 45% will give me the width of beds and paths I require (roughly 1metre then half a metre path ad infinitum. Cool

I knew 'the squaw on the hippopotamus will equal the squaws on the other two hides"formulae would come in handy one day!  Big Grin

And yes, veggie, I do like talking to myself.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Makes me wish I had a triangular plot. Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
That's lovely and you could do that by turning your rectangular plot into 2 triangles with a diagonal path from one corner to the opposite corner.(along the hippopotamus)
I'm a fan of paths like that. Or you could split that into 4 triangles with an X path.

.............and its a stringchalkbod.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Feast your eyes on this collection of 800+ garden plans https://www.pinterest.co.uk/growveg/vege...z8sRl5knJU
See if you can find one that appeals? Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, PyreneesPlot

Vinny Offline
(14-01-2021, 08:47 PM)Veggie Wrote: That's lovely and you could do that by turning your rectangular plot into 2 triangles with a diagonal path from one corner to the opposite corner.(along the hippopotamus)
I'm a fan of paths like that. Or you could split that into 4 triangles with an X path.

.............and its a stringchalkbod.
I used to use a stringline with chalk for marking out steel plates in my engineering days. Always flick the line twice to make sure it was straight.
Marking stuff out on the plot I would use a stringline and you could use flour, or for a more permanent line a whiter aerosol. Idea
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
(14-01-2021, 11:04 PM)Veggie Wrote: Feast your eyes on this collection of 800+ garden plans https://www.pinterest.co.uk/growveg/vege...z8sRl5knJU
See if you can find one that appeals? Smile
Nice, but quite boring. Rolleyes
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The man who wants equal width beds, running parallel to each other on his plot thinks other people's plans are boring!!!Wink
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(15-01-2021, 10:54 AM)Veggie Wrote: The man who wants equal width beds, running parallel to each other on his plot thinks other people's plans are boring!!!Wink
I like the well established premise of 4 foot beds with 2 foot paths in between its just hard to do something different with it, hence the chevron/herringbone plan.

Each to there own.
I do like random cottage type planting as well but its not a thing you would plan for, it just sort of evolves.

The beauty of not using 'sided' beds is that a semi-formal plan can evolve when the beds aren't 'cast in stone'

My path isn't central on the plot so one side is wider than the other. this will make it look less formal, whether this is a good thing or not I am not sure?. I may just concentrate on fishboning one side this year to see how that works out?

Which direction do I chevron it is my first thought, do I want the head of the fish at the gate or vice versa?? Decisions, decision? Big Grin

I could chevron one side and go boring or random on tuther......now there's a thought.
  • Veggie

Broadway Offline
(15-01-2021, 11:26 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(15-01-2021, 10:54 AM)Veggie Wrote: The man who wants equal width beds, running parallel to each other on his plot thinks other people's plans are boring!!!Wink
I like the well established premise of 4 foot beds with 2 foot paths in between its just hard to do something different with it, hence the chevron/herringbone plan.

Each to there own.
I do like random cottage type planting as well but its not a thing you would plan for, it just sort of evolves.

The beauty of not using 'sided' beds is that a semi-formal plan can evolve when the beds aren't 'cast in stone'

My path isn't central on the plot so one side is wider than the other. this will make it look less formal, whether this is a good thing or not I am not sure?. I may just concentrate on fishboning one side this year to see how that works out?

Which direction do I chevron it is my first thought, do I want the head of the fish at the gate or vice versa?? Decisions, decision? Big Grin

I could chevron one side and go boring or random on tuther......now there's a thought.
I like the idea but unfortunately because I could get evicted at any time I choose the pallet collars as raised beds. That way if I were to be evicted I'll just fold them up and take them somewhere elseSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I think the chevrons direction should align with the sun so they cast less shade on the next chevron.
Also, if its herringbone, how about a round, fisheye bed at the head?
  • Vinny