Vinny's Allotment Plot
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Called in at plot but everything was OK apart from the pigeons had a go at my Brussel Sprouts. Angry

I put small canes with plastic bottles on top along the row and put a wire mesh tent over bottles. That should keep the pesky flying rats of them. Cool

I cut a Spring Cabbage for Sunday dinner and cut a cross in the stump to see if any more would grow. Idea
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Vinny Offline
I am at the plot every day but only updating this thread now and again.

Yesterday I planted out the last of my cucurbits which were three butternut squash and three cucumbers. I was given another three chilli plants from my next door neighbour at home but they are a wee bit small to pot on at the moment.

I have French beans and climbing french beans ready to plant out .I have erected a teepee but need to find a place for the normal French beans as they are ahead in growth compared to the climbers.
My plot is a good size, but already I am struggling to find areas to plant stuff. This is the way I like it though as higgldey piggldey is better than a uniformed approach.
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

SarrissUK Offline
(06-06-2020, 04:35 PM)Vinny Wrote: I've finally found some piccies of the plot when I got it.......not a pretty sight. Confused And one after I had strimmed it. Big Grin

Wow that's amazing lol
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Vinny Offline
Today was spent wielding a hoe. I am sure that with all this damp weather I have hoed some of this stuff before and it has re-rooted.
Undecided
Planted out my French beans and climbing French beans the other day along with some lettuce. I still have some leeks waiting in the wings along with cabbage and cauli seedlings.Old packets of kale haven't germinated but my PSB has germinated in a MFB.  
Pesky slugs have been at my runner beans so put some slug pellets down. I have just covered both my strawberry beds and my carrot bed with enviromesh. My second sowing of carrots have eventually germinated as well.
I need to find somewhere to plant out my Purple Top Milan  module grown turnips?
I have tried an experiment in my old compost heap by throwing in a bucket full of chitted tatties and covering them with comfrey leaves followed by grass cuttings.
Came home with a large Spring Cabbage and two large strawberries. Big Grin
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
Is it really twelve days since I posted on here? Since last post I have harvested red Japanese onions and planted Purple top milan turnips in there place.
Broad beans were flateened by the wind but have been propped up since.

Getting a a large punnet of strawberries every second day.

Pld kale seed didn't germinate but PSB did.

Today I lifted my garlic and Elephant garlic. Planted Cauli's in there place and noticed the beetroot had germinated.

I keep munching various gooseberries I have but they need a bit longer to ripen.

I tried to start a row of raspberries last year but they are very hit and miss.

I have tried one of my maincrop spuds and although small were very welcome. The Charlottes are a waste of time.

I am getting a wee bit sick of eating spring cabbage
  • Can the Man, Mamzie

Vinny Offline
I seem to be adding to this thread on a 12 day cycle. Rolleyes

I am at the plot most days but today my main jobs were harvesting some strawberries plus young curly kale shoots and sowing a row of winter spinach. Smile

I have never grown spinach (apart from that perpetual stuff) and I am taking a leaf out of my old mans book who loved growing and eating it (And no, he wasn't called Popeye.) Rolleyes

Everything is performing ok apart from my onion sets from B&M and the Charlotte spuds I also got from B&M. Angry

I have been eating strawberies for about three weeks now but the weather hasn't been kind to them with mould and rot affecting quite a few. I will create a new bed with more organic matter added as the beds they are in dry out too quickly.

I had picked an unknown yellow chilli that I didn't know how hot it was. After a few days I plucked up the courage to have a nibble and found it had no heat at all. It looks similar to the pickled yellow chillies you sometimes get in jars.
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Must get some piccies. Angry

I am gradually getting my Mojo back and fancy a herringbone pattern for beds, either side of a central path. I am planning it in my head, but can't be arsed to draw a plan. Rolleyes
I don't know whether to do away with my wooden sided beds, or just wait until the wood rots then ditch them? I am veering towards a clean sweep and just starting from scratch.

I seem to have a lot of wasted growing space on the plot the way they are. I have a central path and raised beds need to come right up to it, not be plonked higgledy piggeldy on the plot as they are now.

That's it, existing beds will be toast!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mamzie, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Good to see you talk to yourself too. Wink
You've done Aztec gardens, there must be another theme you could try?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Vinny

doublyjonah Online
Glad you're getting back into things and I look forward to seeing the new layout. I've missed your plot updates (here and in the long-ago)!
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • Broadway, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(13-01-2021, 02:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: Good to see you talk to yourself too. Wink
You've done Aztec gardens, there must be another theme you could try?
If only my plot was in the shape of a fish I could make realistic looking herringbone plots on it! Big Grin

I'm hoping that by herringboning my square plot I can draw the eye outward on both sides of the path. Summat different if nowt else. Rolleyes
I tried to download a Google Earth overhead picture of the plot but for some reason it keeps chucking up an error message. Huh
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet