Eco friendly recommendations
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(26-03-2021, 01:04 PM)JJB Wrote: Anyone found an eco (or not) way to remove tannin build up from the inside of a metal teapot?  Apart from steel wool scrubbing I've failed.
(15-03-2021, 10:30 AM)Moth Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 05:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: ...Half a squeezed lemon (destined for the compost bin) is great for cleaning taps and sinks - smells nice too.

With a teaspoon of bicarb of soda it makes light work of stains in teacups and makes the teapot sparkle too.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I fine orange squash works with cups. I leave a drink for a while to stand in the cup before drinking it then find any deposit on the cup comes of easily with a bit of rubbing. What I can't do is remove the staining from the spout.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(26-03-2021, 02:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: Can't stand tea, either.;P
If you think of the tannin inside your teapot, imagine what your intestines look like. Smile

I think your intestines should be spotless with all the washing up liquid you must take in not rinsing your plates and things.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I didn't tell you about the Yogic Internal cleansing, did I?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(26-03-2021, 02:07 PM)Veggie Wrote: Can't stand tea, either.;P
If you think of the tannin inside your teapot, imagine what your intestines look like. Smile

I had the optional colonoscopy (offered to 55-year-olds) a couple of years back, and mine are squeaky clean Big Grin

FWIW, I drink several cups of strong Assam tea every day. Great for the intestines, not so good for the teeth!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
The tannin build up in my teapot is a bit beyond baking soda and squash I fear, it's almost to the point of a hammer and chisel, perhaps oven cleaner? Smile hate to think what my tea might taste like afterwards, even after rinsing.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Bought my mum a wooden comb as the plastic one she was using makes so much static in her fine (and ATM long) hair that it was floating like a halo around her shoulders. It's brilliant. Not a trace of static even when freshly washed and dried (hair not comb!). Got it from Peace with the Wild, a great, plastic free site. I also got a solid block conditioner for my hair which works really well, so now I'm going to try one of the solid block shampoos, and I've ordered a wooden comb for me too. Smile
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 6 users Like Moth's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've just bought some soap and shampoo bars - over 4kg to be exact!! Wonder how long that will last?
They're soap offcuts from this company https://www.naturalsoapoffcuts.co.uk/ and seem to be the trimmings from this company https://www.friendlysoap.co.uk/
Since soap always ends up in odd shapes and bits get stuck together, it doesn't matter to me that they start off an odd shape.
I've bought a box of Fragranced and Unfragranced soap and one of Shampoo bars because its free P&P for 3 boxes.Smile
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Moth, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I looked at those but didn’t buy. I’d love to know what you get when they arrive.
I’m currently using some of the friendly soap bars at the moment. I really like the Patchouli one. ( still an old hippy at heart )
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I probably won't know what "flavour" they are - I expect them to be unlabelled. As long as they smell "nice".Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Small chilli