Eco friendly recommendations
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is a thread for recommendations on cleaning/ household items/ beauty / health & wellbeing & hygiene products. That are all or a combination of plastic / chemical / palm oil & cruelty free. 

I’ve ordered my first products from a couple of companies this morning. I’ll report back when I’ve tried them out.
I’ve wanted to go plastic & cruelty free for a good few years if I’m honest but it’s always been very expensive and quite limited and difficult to find. Now there are eco shops springs up all over the place. Still more expensive then the commercial stuff. Which is to be expected. I’m very excited for the post to arrive next week. 

So please if you have any recommendations share. Name drop those small companies  Smile
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 7 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I like Lush bubble bars - I've been buying them since the company was called Cosmetics To Go, way back in the 1980s. They're expensive, so I save them for treats and break them up so that they last for two or three baths (using a whole one would produce way too much foam, I reckon!). Their "Happy Hippy" grapefruit shower gel is nice too - very good for waking you up in the morning!

I went through a phase of avoiding anything with sodium laureth sulphate (a foaming agent), and while I eventually switched back to a standard commercial shampoo (mostly because my hair is very fine and it's hard to find "green" shampoos that don't leave it feeling flat and lifeless), I still use an SLS-free toothpaste, Aloe-Dent. It's based on aloe vera gel, so I found the texture a bit odd at first, but I soon got used to it. You can buy it in Waitrose and most wholefood shops.

Maybe I should give the new generation of environmentally friendly shampoos a try, when my current bottle of Aussie runs low!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Good thread.
I'm a recent convert to using vinegar for cleaning - great for removing limescale and grime. After a shower, a quick wipe around with a sponge with a little vinegar, followed by a go with the squeedgee seems to work as well as a post-shower squeedgee plus weekly clean with a product like that one that with a bang. No brand, just all-purpose cleaning vinegar Smile Although it does come in a plastic container Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I'm prone to mouth ulcers and have found that the presence of sodium laureth sulphate inhibits healing so always have some toothpaste without it on stand-by, I've not found the presence of sodium laureth sulphate actually increases the chances of developing ulcers.

• Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-03-2021, 04:51 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Good thread.
I'm a recent convert to using vinegar for cleaning - great for removing limescale and grime. After a shower, a quick wipe around with a sponge with a little vinegar, followed by a go with the squeedgee seems to work as well as a post-shower squeedgee plus weekly clean with a product like that one that with a bang. No brand, just all-purpose cleaning vinegar Smile Although it does come in a plastic container Sad

White vinegar is very useful - and if you're not keen on the smell, you can steep some thyme in it for extra germ-killing power!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
So, you come out of the shower smelling like a chip shop! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Spec

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm a fan of microfibre cleaning cloths for cleaning surfaces. All you need to add is water. They last for ever and can be chucked in the washing machine when grubby.

Half a squeezed lemon (destined for the compost bin) is great for cleaning taps and sinks - smells nice too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Mamzie, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Jimny14 Offline
https://www.theplasticfreeshop.co.uk/denttabs

If anyone is interested after lots of searching for some of my patients I have found a toothpaste alternative which is SLS free, plastic free and has fluoride (there are fluoride free options too but I wouldn't recommendthem). They are a tablet rather than a paste so take a bit of getting used to.
[-] The following 7 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Jimny Smile We have a Zero waste shop near here, so I'll see if they stock them. The P&P online is quite pricey if you only want a small quantity to try!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(13-03-2021, 05:16 PM)Vinny Wrote:
So, you come out of the shower smelling like a chip shop! Big Grin

How rude Wink  Vinaigrette,  obviously Smile

• Eyren, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Spec