Eco friendly recommendations
Spec Offline
It looks like people are going back to a time before high pressure advertising, where everything from yesterday was poor and anything new was better, when any of my family have a cut or similar and I am asked how they can treat it, after telling me the problem, their first remark is how can I treat it and don't say use vinigar, if I have a cut jor graze the first thing I do is wash it with vinigar and so far I have had no problems after that, as for using it for cleaning, I have 20lts. of vinigar so must see if I can sell it to OHRolleyes
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
Recycle and use preloved is my main eco tip. I admin a local fb group for sharing items free instead of throwing them away, its fabulous to see people sharing. I also have a community pantry in our front garden for locals to come collect food from and save waate. We helped a bigger group with the New Years Eve collection that we all shared out. 12 1/2 pallets of potatoes would have been binned with out... Plus lots of red cabbage and other bits x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 5 users Like Mamzie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I tried beauty kubes shampoo this morning for the first time. From first impression I’d recommend it. It smells lovely, lathers up amazingly well (I’m in a very soft water area) and I’ve noticed very little difference to the plastic bottles filled with chemicals that I normally use on my first use.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I used to use Splosh products. They were effective and nice to use but, at the time, the refills came in little capsules that you put into the container, added water and the capsule would dissolve. I had a few instances where it didn't dissolve and there was a slimy mass left inside the bottle. Didn't like that so I stopped using Splosh.
Now, they have moved away from these little capsules to bigger refills in plastic pouches that are returnable.

https://www.splosh.com/about-us
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The Ethical Consumer website is a good place to start looking for products. https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/
I'm not a subscriber so can't read all the details (not the most up-to-date reports) but they list "what to look out for" and "Who to avoid". Covers all sorts of products - including gardening..
Here's the shampoo one since SC has just bought some. https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/health-b...al-shampoo

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is a "Reduce" post.Smile
Many years ago I heard about a man who had an idea that would make him and the Toothpaste manufacturers a lot of money, for very little effort. He approached various manufacturers, wanting to sell them his idea, but they were reluctant to go into business with him because he couldn't actually tell them his idea - because it was so simple, once they knew what it was they could do it without him!
Eventually he found a company that would buy his idea, unseen.
His idea was very simple - he had observed that people always squeezed the same amount of toothpaste onto their brush - say an inch long squirt. However, if you enlarged the opening of the toothpaste tube by a very small amount, every squeeze would be bigger in diameter and, hence, more toothpaste would be used.

I'm sure our resident Dentist will put me right Wink but I think the recommended amount of toothpaste is about the size of a pea.
All the toothpaste ads show the toothpaste laid out along the length of the brush (so you use a lot more than a pea). I squirt it across the width, (not the length), which is more pea sized.
That's the introduction done - now for the real reason for the post!
Applying the "every squirt is the same size" theory to other things, I've applied it to washing up liquid! Always the same size squirt, whenever I do the washing up. However, when the bottle is virtually empty,  I add a bit of water, shake the bottle and use the contents to washup. It still does as good a job of washing up as when used full strength!

This week, I poured 100ml of washing up liquid and 50ml of water into a squeezy bottle and am pleased to report that there is no difference in washing up power, or bubbles.
Once I've finished this lot, the next batch will be equal quantities of liquid and water - to see if I can make my washing up liquid wash twice as many dishes as previously.

Are you still awake??
PS This is my new Thing for this week. Smile
[-] The following 9 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Mamzie, Mark_Riga, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
When I wash up, I use about 1/2 pint of hot water in a glass bowl or small Pyrex dish with a dribble of wash up liquid.When everything is washed, I rinse off with cold water that I collect in the bowl. Dishes accumulate over the day in the bowl where they soak so are easy to wash the next day. Cutlery when washed, is put in a large mug so up to 15 pieces can be rinsed together.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Before the hot water reaches the tap, I catch the cold water in an old milk container - usually about 2 litres. I use this for the dog's water bowl, the chooks or for watering seedlings. I don't rinse after washing up - even if I should Wink

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(25-03-2021, 10:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm sure our resident Dentist will put me right Wink but I think the recommended amount of toothpaste is about the size of a pea.
All the toothpaste ads show the toothpaste laid out along the length of the brush (so you use a lot more than a pea). I squirt it across the width, (not the length), which is more pea sized.

I use an electric toothbrush, and you can only get a pea-sized squeeze onto that Smile

The other day my shampoo had almost run out, so I added some warm water and used the resulting thin liquid to wash my hair. Lo and behold, it was just as effective as a big blob of the concentrated stuff!

I have a second (full) bottle, so now I'm thinking that I might decant some into the old bottle and dilute it.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
(26-03-2021, 09:28 AM)Eyren Wrote:
(25-03-2021, 10:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm sure our resident Dentist will put me right Wink but I think the recommended amount of toothpaste is about the size of a pea.

I use an electric toothbrush, and you can only get a pea-sized squeeze onto that Smile
I was just going to post about electric brushes.  Smile  and pea sized blobs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie