Which end do you look through? ;)
Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
Soooo.... I just spent an hour or so putting this together:

The paler versions of cells are for crops that can be stored/frozen/dried/etc for eating out of season. (I'm aware that garlic can be kept a lot longer, but I don't have the space to grow enough for the whole year!) It also doesn't show any fruit or herbs, for space reasons as much as anything.

At the moment it's more of an ideal to work towards than an accurate reflection of what I'm growing, but it's good to have big dreams Big Grin
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 7 users Like Eyren's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Scarlet, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(12-03-2021, 07:52 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its simple really and you probably do it anyway.Wink

I looked at a simple chart today that tells you what to do in the garden each month - Sow, Plant, Harvest.
In March, the Harvest is -
Jerusalem Artichokes
Sprouting Broccoli
Brussels sprouts
Winter cabbages
Winter Caulis
Celeriac
Chard
Chicory
Endive
Kale
leeks
Indoor lettuce
Parsnip
Rhubarb
Sorrel
Spinach.

Of those, I've only got Sprouting broccoli, kale, leeks, lettuce and a little chard and spinach.

So, if I want to eat more variety in March (destination) I need to start my journey at the right time of year.
Usually, I get to March and start sowing all sorts of veg with no real destination (time of harvest) in mind. I've been more involved in buying the tickets and starting the journey than making sure that I arrive at the right place at the right time.
Simple, yes???
We are bordering on 'Spreadsheet territory' here so I cannot like this. Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Vinny Offline
(13-03-2021, 09:33 AM)Eyren Wrote: Soooo.... I just spent an hour or so putting this together:

The paler versions of cells are for crops that can be stored/frozen/dried/etc for eating out of season. (I'm aware that garlic can be kept a lot longer, but I don't have the space to grow enough for the whole year!) It also doesn't show any fruit or herbs, for space reasons as much as anything.

At the moment it's more of an ideal to work towards than an accurate reflection of what I'm growing, but it's good to have big dreams Big Grin
Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggg! Rolleyes
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, Moth, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
No, not joining in here. Being a cat in another life I dislike inclement weather so there's no way I'm concentrating on anything that needs harvesting in the dead of winter. I'm unconcerned that the land is fallow in winter and half the things on your list Veggie, I wouldn't bother with either. Smile Every year I leave the chard in the ground in the hope it will provide summat during the winter it never does, and I never go out to pick it. It just gets dug out late spring when I need the space. I just have to admit I'm a fairweather gardener but all credit to those of you who are different.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-03-2021, 08:50 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(13-03-2021, 12:41 AM)Veggie Wrote: I'm making a list of the veg that are harvestable each month (that I actually want to eat) and I'm going to make sure that I sow them at the right time during the year.
My aim is to have at least 6 different veg ready to eat every month - not a massive glut in September but a steady supply year round.
Don’t know if I’m more awake now or my tiny dyslexic brain has caught up. But that ^^^ I understand! Like it and think it’s a great idea! I’m planning on doing something similar with my jalapeños. Because I made a bit of a cock up last year and sowed them really late. I was still eating fresh jalapeños in December. I’m going to do that again. All I have to do is work out when I planted them. Don’t suppose you remember? I put it on our fledgling website  Big Grin
If you sow some every month, one of them will be right - then you'll know for the future.......................and No, I don't remember.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Moth, Small chilli, Spec, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Vinny, I don't do spreadsheets either - hated them in work and still do. Sorry Eyren, but if it works for you, great. Looks good.

My organisation will be limited to a written list and sorting the seeds to be sown into month order.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Eyren, Small chilli, Spec

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(13-03-2021, 11:21 AM)Veggie Wrote: Vinny, I don't do spreadsheets either - hated them in work and still do. Sorry Eyren, but if it works for you, great. Looks good.

My organisation will be limited to a written list and sorting the seeds to be sown into month order.

I don't often use spreadsheets at work - maybe that's why I enjoy using them for my hobbies. I'd rather do that than use a dedicated gardening app that requires time to learn and often costs money (sometimes monthly!), whereas Numbers comes free with all my Apple devices.

I've tried organising seeds by sowing date in the past, but found it annoying because it was always changing. Now I just sort them by type and look them up on my spreadsheets when it's time to sow them Smile
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(13-03-2021, 11:21 AM)Veggie Wrote: Vinny, I don't do spreadsheets either - hated them in work and still do. Sorry Eyren, but if it works for you, great. Looks good.

Phew, I was beginning to think you were veering towards the 'Dark side' there! Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-03-2021, 10:46 AM)JJB Wrote: No, not joining in here.  Being a cat in another life I dislike inclement weather so there's no way I'm concentrating  on anything that needs harvesting in the dead of winter.  I'm unconcerned that the land is fallow in winter and half the things on your list Veggie,  I wouldn't bother with either. Smile  Every year I leave the chard in the ground in the hope it will provide summat during the winter it never does, and I never go out to pick it.  It just gets dug out late spring when I need the space.  I just have to admit I'm a fairweather gardener but all credit to those of you who are different.
Grow stuff in your GHs over winter - that's where I intend to grow more. Nice and dry and warm - the perfect place for coffee.Wink At the mo, there's lettuce, rocket, spinach, chard, kale, spring onions, beetroot and some other green leaved things whose names I've forgotten. Next winter, I'll try to grow more roots there.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Eyren, JJB, Small chilli, Spec

Vinny Offline
Life is a learning experience. After many years of gardening I can usually have something available to eat from the plot at all times. I have a second bed of carrots that I haven't even started to harvest yet though, so less carrots need sowing this year. Rolleyes
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga, Spec, Veggie