2021 - 52 weeks of doing something different
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(13-06-2021, 04:06 PM)Veggie Wrote: Could you explain "daily planking" please?

Good for the back and core strength but you don't need to run around and get hot and bothered!! 
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle...ona-vertue

(13-06-2021, 10:21 PM)JJB Wrote: ^^^ not on one leg I hope Smile

Yes, and one arm if you get really strong ...

Apparently it is just a fad, but I did it for about three months last year, building up a little each day, and it did make a difference to my general strength and also I seemed to be less insomniac, too, so good for my mental health. I then had an RA flare and was very fatigued with too much pain in my elbows and shoulders so stopped Sad I think I would have felt better overall if I'd kept at it, even if for a reduced amount of time.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
^^^ respect if you can plank with RA, and do the garden too in your heat. I'm flagging even in our meagre 26 degrees
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'll try planking in the privacy of my room - when its cooler, like November. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(14-06-2021, 11:23 AM)JJB Wrote: ^^^ respect if you can plank with RA, and do the garden too in your heat.  I'm flagging even in our meagre 26 degrees

Thank you! The heat is great for the joints, it's the damp in spring and autumn that are worse. And I'm well medicated  Big Grin

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Well the planking only happened twice - shoulders said no - but maybe even once or twice a week will be better than nothing.
Standing on one leg has now progressed to beng able to stretch the raised leg forwards and backwards during the minute. Result - feeling much more balanced, but getting a lot more toothpaste down my front  Cry Blush

This week's different thing was to make hand rolled & cut pasta. We have a pasta machine and use it often; I make the dough and MrPP does the rolling. But yesterday I did the lot on a board with a rolling pin. Respect to those Italian nonnas who do it everyday: it was hard work, and to be honest no better than dough put through the machine!

[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Back to standing on one leg to improve balance in later years. I don't recall anyone saying it should be with your eye closed! Having picked myself up off the floor, I'll keep trying but this is ridiculous Smile 10 seconds they say!! I'm lucky if I make it to two before keeling over. Big Grin I was so proud of myself for managing 2 minutes on each leg with eyes open. Sad
Back to the drawing board.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My something new is bottle feeding a lamb.
Not really new, but not done it for over 15 years. But it was a surprise! I was in the middle of my Saturday cottage cleaning.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(26-06-2021, 11:12 AM)JJB Wrote: Back to standing on one leg to improve balance in later years. I don't recall anyone saying it should be with your eye closed! Having picked myself up off the floor, I'll keep trying but this is ridiculous Smile 10 seconds they say!! I'm lucky if I make it to two before keeling over. Big Grin I was so proud of myself for managing 2 minutes on each leg with eyes open. Sad

2 minutes? Wow!

This week I had a go at making pita bread. Really nice and fluffy, and so light the filling (cos lettuce, shredded carrot and sticky pulled lamb shoulder) made a right mess of hands and faces. Good job we were outdoors and not in company!

[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-06-2021, 09:18 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(26-06-2021, 11:12 AM)JJB Wrote: Back to standing on one leg to improve balance in later years.  I don't recall anyone saying it should be with your eye closed!  Having picked myself up off the floor, I'll keep trying but this is ridiculous  Smile  10 seconds they say!!  I'm lucky if I make it to two before keeling over. Big Grin  I was so proud of myself for managing 2 minutes on each leg with eyes open. Sad

2 minutes? Wow!

This week I had a go at making pita bread. Really nice and fluffy, and so light the filling (cos lettuce, shredded carrot and sticky pulled lamb shoulder) made a right mess of hands and faces. Good job we were outdoors and not in company!

TBH having read my post I misrepresented my 'achievement' (DUH! Got it wrong again) I meant 2 minutes in total  but only on on each leg.  However I am improving with eyes closed managed 8 seconds before collapsing on one occasion. As you say toothpaste down the front tells a tale  Rolleyes
Greetings from Salisbury
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I did manage two minutes on the left leg during this morning's toothbrush. The leg got awfully tired. Right leg this eveningSmile
Greetings from Salisbury
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie