2021 - What I did today
Bren Offline
#1,151
(30-07-2021, 11:59 AM)Broadway Wrote:
(30-07-2021, 09:45 AM)Bren Wrote: Yesterday I cut my JA's down to 5ft hopefully they'll be a bit more stable.
Thought I'd lost my sunflowers some were almost horizontal after the thunderstorm  Sad  they've picked up this morning. 
Glad I took a photos earlier in the week because they're all looking a bit bashed around.
Hi Bren

Regards your JA's I can't remember but assume they in containers?

I have 5 containers, I emptied one as the foliage had died down, unfortunately there were no tubersSad, of the remaining four three of them seem to be flourishing but the forth looks dead/wiltedSad

Danny my JA's are  grown behind the shed  in a permanent growing  area   they share  with rhubarb, blackberries and the bean row.  Its just a bit windy down there though.

Pity about one of yours dying but hopefully  you'll get a good crop from the rest.

I don't grow much in containers/buckets just potatoes, spare courgettes and some of lettuce.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,152
Filled the green waste bins with the hedge clippings from the front garden. I was trying to get the bins filled before the waste collectors came today. - They caught me in the act of cramming stuff in and I had to admit that I was trying to fill it to the brim before they arrived. Ever obliging, they offered to wait until I'd filled it!! So many people complain about the waste collectors at the moment as they've been short staffed because of Covid, but I've always found them very helpful.
I don't spend much time in the front garden but when I do, there's always some unsuspecting passer-by that I can waylay and talk to - usually a dog owner taking their pooch for a walk in the local woods.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB

Broadway Offline
#1,153
(30-07-2021, 07:45 PM)Bren Wrote:
(30-07-2021, 09:45 AM)Bren Wrote: Yesterday I cut my JA's down to 5ft hopefully they'll be a bit more stable.
Thought I'd lost my sunflowers some were almost horizontal after the thunderstorm  Sad  they've picked up this morning. 
Glad I took a photos earlier in the week because they're all looking a bit bashed around.
Hi Bren

I have 5 containers, I emptied one as the foliage had died down, unfortunately there were no tubersSad, of the remaining four three of them seem to be flourishing but the forth looks dead/wiltedSad

Danny my JA's are  grown behind the shed  in a permanent growing  area   they share  with rhubarb, blackberries and the bean row.  Its just a bit windy down there though.

Pity about one of yours dying but hopefully  you'll get a good crop from the rest.

I don't grow much in containers/buckets just potatoes, spare courgettes and some of lettuce.
Oh ok Bren

I've read about JA's taking over areas and running wild, I assume you do not have that issue? I was thinking about putting any that survive in the ground next season.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
#1,154
Not a lot, working from home office, brought my grandson to karate training, went for a walk with the dog. No gardening tonight that’s for tomorrow
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
#1,155
(30-07-2021, 09:38 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(30-07-2021, 07:45 PM)Bren Wrote:
Hi Bren

Oh ok Bren

I've read about JA's taking over areas and running wild, I assume you do not have that issue? I was thinking about putting any that survive in the ground next season.

Danny I've got them trapped on two sides with a wall so i only have to watch they don't venture to close to the bean row.  I pull any up that are in the way they do grow back but it seems to keep them in check.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
#1,156
I harvested my first raised be of onions and hung them in the poly tunnel to dry, I them dug the raised bed, turned the soil added a 60L bag of quality compost, plus granular sea weed. Dug it all in and raked over.
I then trimmed up a load of strawberry plants from the poly tunnel trimmed off dead and dying leaves etc. Then took them out of the pots and cleaned off all the old soil , soaked them in seaweed rooting compound and transplanted into the onion raised bed, I might get some more growth on them this year, but mainly planning for next year. I will cover them with straw when we are approaching winter.
I weeded 2 of my potato drills, very poor show this year with the spuds, they look to have been attacked by some form of aphid.
I picked some tomatoes gherkin, beetroots for my niece who came to visit today.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,157
Watered tunnels. Fed tromboncino. Dead headed calendulas. Rest of day taking all the building supplies to the plot.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
#1,158
Yesterday cut the lawn so I finished off turning compost no. 1. Luckily just finished as the heavens opened again. I must have this knack, turn compost >>> make it rain. I'll keep it in mind when we get the forecast heatwave in a couple of weeks.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
#1,159
Fed toms and courgettes then topped up cucs self-watering tank.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
#1,160
Froze beans. Who's idea was it to grow so many??
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie