Looking for inspiration...
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(01-01-2021, 11:56 AM)JJB Wrote: Cucumbers?
Definitely not, too rampant and if I had three cucumbers a year to eat,that would be enough for me.Grew two plants up the gable end last year and was sick of giving fruit away. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Vinny Offline
(01-01-2021, 03:26 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: If you like beetroot, you could grow some in there. I grow some in a polytunnel and they do a lot better than outside. I start in modules and then plant out about 4" apart in groups of 2 or 3 then start eating the thinnings some weeks later. Carrots seem to miss the worst of the fly if I grow some under cover. A box of salad leaves would grow quickly under cover.
Don't eat many salads (I know I should do) and I still have beetroot on the plot. I harvest as I fancy some. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Up until now the Cape Gooseberry is a possibility if I can find a dwarf variety? Cool I thought of a pot of early Dwarf French beans maybe? I still need some other stuff to fill up the space though. I love Freesia but have never had much success growing them in pots. I need to get my thinking cap on! Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(01-01-2021, 03:37 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(01-01-2021, 11:44 AM)Admin Wrote: Cape gooseberry? Cant spell Physalis Smile
I've grown those in the past but they tried to takeover the greenhouse! Sick I did manage to keep them going for a good few years though in a compost filled dustbin. Cool
If I could find a more compact variety, I may give them another try  as I enjoyed the fruit in the paper lanterns. Smile
There is a dwarf one - not sure how different it is. 
I like growing them because they're so easy. I have 2 in buckets as we speak.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(01-01-2021, 11:11 AM)Vinny Wrote: This year I have come to the conclusion I don't really need all these chillies and peppers and I was wanting to try summat else for a change? 
I’m sorry, you’ve lost me ! ? ? WT............  Big Grin  Tongue
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Vinny Offline
(01-01-2021, 04:13 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(01-01-2021, 11:11 AM)Vinny Wrote: This year I have come to the conclusion I don't really need all these chillies and peppers and I was wanting to try summat else for a change? 
I’m sorry, you’ve lost me ! ? ? WT............  Big Grin  Tongue
I'm a bit of a wuss and really only like Jalapenos! Rolleyes I have two lovely plants of Scotch Bonnets which i brought from the greenhouse on to  my kitchen window sill. They are laden with fruit now and are much better to look at than those mock oranges you see for sale. Undecided The problem is, I am frightened to eat them! Angry
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Very briefly chilli handling/ cooking 101 ....... SC style.  Wink
1. If you’re really that nervous wear gloves when handling. Really no need unless you’re handling a lot at once. Just wash your hands properly. You’ll find the government’s recent campaign on hand washing works very nicely for chilli handling as well  Wink  Big Grin .
2. Cut chilli in half, top to bottom. Remove all the seeds and white pith/ membrane. Instant heat reduction. 
3. There is no law anywhere, ever, that says you have to use a whole chilli when cooking. If you want to use half or even just a thin slice. It ok to do so. 
4. As with all cooking you can always add more. You can’t take it out again!.
5. Be brave give a little bit a try in your next meal you need / want chilli in. The flavours are so lovely. ( I think jalapeño are one of the more boring flavoured chillies    Blush ) 
6. As a nervous chilli eater DO NOT try a bit of chilli on its own! It’ll put you off for life ! I love chillies. I hate eating them raw / on their own. 
7. Completely ignore me and grow whatever you like into your greenhouse    Smile .

Recommend pink habanero, Trinidad perfume, both no heat stunning chilli flavour. Havana gold unique flavour about same / very slightly higher heat than jalapeño.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 7 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
Maybe some Sweet potatoes in large pots or some Yard long beans if you can navigate around the bench?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(01-01-2021, 05:16 PM)Broadway Wrote: Maybe some Sweet potatoes in large pots or some Yard long beans if you can navigate around the bench?
Tried the Yard Longs once outdoors, plenty of leaves but very few beans. I've tried a lot of different French beans and have eventually found a variety I like which crops early and heavily. Tendergreen is the one for me, readily available cheaply and the only one my neighbours and I really enjoyed this year. Cool They melt in your mouth! Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Spec

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Carrots in boxes or large pots on your bench they are up high so no risk of carrot fly.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.