Autumn sowing of Beans and Peas
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Some Broad beans and winter hardy Peas can be sown October/November. 

Do you do this and which ones have you sown or are going to sow - and how?? 
Any hints/tips/experiences you'd like to share?

I've started some Super Aquadulce  BBs in modules in the GH and I'm sorting out some other seeds as we speak.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I've sown Masterpeice & Grano Violleto broad beans, both in pots, sown 1st October, planted out 11th November, and in rows direct sown 28th October, through within ten days. I prefer the autumn sown ones as they seem to resist chocolate spot better. It will be interesting to compare their relative performances in the spring.

Peas - douce de Provence direct sown 28th October and through in a week. Again winter sown do better, spring sown suffering more from mildew and the long tailed blue butterfly, (very pretty, also know as the pea blue butterfly!)
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Broad beans – 12 x Statissa (2017 seed?) & 12 x Witkiem (Self Saved) were sown Friday 13th in loo rolls, mpc.

Sitting outside in the yard.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I usually sow some of 'The Sutton' in the autumn but wont be bothering this year. There's only me in the house who eats them and I have a freezer full. Rolleyes
I grew Bunyards Exhibition earlier in the year and had a good crop. My Dad always grew these so I think I will give the autumn sown beans a miss and wait until spring. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(16-11-2020, 05:08 PM)Vinny Wrote: I usually sow some of 'The Sutton' in the autumn but wont be bothering this year. There's only me in the house who eats them and I have a freezer full. Rolleyes
I grew Bunyards Exhibition earlier in the year and had a good crop. My Dad always grew these so I think I will give the autumn sown beans a miss and wait until spring. Big Grin
I was gonna give it a miss but found some 2017 seeds as well as my own saved seeds from this year, first time saving.

Thought I'd sow these now and any disasters I can sow some other seeds direct next year.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Does anyone have any ideas on stopping short tongued bees robbing the nectar from my broad beans without pollinating them?
I could grow flowers they can get at easily, any ideas of good ones for nectar?
I could try hand pollinating but would be time consuming?
Would sowing now help? Or would they be one of the few flowering early spring and so bee more vulnerable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Anything suitable here? https://friendsoftheearth.uk/bees/beefri...ery-season
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(16-11-2020, 06:11 PM)Veggie Wrote: Anything suitable here?  https://friendsoftheearth.uk/bees/beefri...ery-season

Not really Veggie. I think I'll sow some monada and nigella to plant near (just looked what flower seeds are in the box that flower for a few weeks in early summer). Also sow the beans later so hopefully more stuff will be flowering elsewhere. Not sure this will work as it was on french bean flowers that I saw the bees boring holes and helping themselves without pollinating when there was plenty else for them in the garden. It obviously doesn't matter for french beans as still got a good crop.

When the beans are flowering, I'll keep an eye on the flowers for any tell tale holes at the base.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(16-11-2020, 05:59 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Does anyone have any ideas on stopping short tongued bees robbing the nectar from my broad beans without pollinating them?
I could grow flowers they can get at easily, any ideas of good ones for nectar?
I could try hand pollinating but would be time consuming?
Would sowing now help? Or would they be one of the few flowering early spring and so bee more vulnerable.
I sometimes have to use a net against carpenter bees who bite through the base of the flowers. The problem has improved now there are other flowers for them to feed on- a good excuse for leaving the early dandelions!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(16-11-2020, 07:46 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote:
(16-11-2020, 05:59 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Does anyone have any ideas on stopping short tongued bees robbing the nectar from my broad beans without pollinating them?
I sometimes have to use a net against carpenter bees who bite through the base of the flowers. The problem has improved now there are other flowers for them to feed on- a good excuse for leaving the early dandelions!

If you net them, are other insects trapped in the nets or how do they then get pollinated?