Nature & wildlife pictures
Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Adders are apparently like buses. Not see one for ages. Today within 30 minutes I’ve seen 3.

This was the 2nd one I saw, a big girl.

Skew completely oblivious. Just wondered why I was talking to the bottom of the gate and not throwing his toy. 
I did make skew stay away but my boys must encounter adders when they’re playing in the field.

This was all I could see of the 3rd one.

Took me ages to find the other end.

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 9 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Mark_Riga, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Glorious adders (and photos), SC.

I nearly stood on this aesculapian this afternoon - they're very relaxed snakes and not venemous!

Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Roitelet, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
He’s a good looking guy. He looks quite big. What size do they get?
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
This one’s about 1.5m, they can grow to 2m apparently.
I try and make space and habitat for snakes as they get pretty persecuted Sad
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Apologies if you’re getting board with adder photos.

Another big girl. Was trying to work out if it was the same one I saw Tuesday. I don’t think it is but I’m not sure.

[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jay, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Dunno what it is but I am with Indiana Jones on this one as all snakes give me the creeps. Eels as well! Cry I've caught eeels in the past and had to ask my son to take them off the hook as they send shivers down my spine!

I realise they are beautiful creatures and used to see loads when I lived in a moorland cottage, but I always kept my distance and observed from afar.

Spiders I have no ptoblem with and can happily let them crawl all over me but snakes............nah!!!! Big Grin

I'm sure I read recently that a dog was bitten off an adder and the anti-venom cost the owner over £1000 to administer by a vet as it's mainly kept in case of humans being bitten? Huh

PS Just had a thought, include ducks necks in with above. When grabbing a duck the neck is so snakelike it also gives me the shivers
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(20-08-2022, 02:15 PM)Vinny Wrote: Dunno what it is but I am with Indiana Jones on this one as all snakes give me the creeps. Eels as well! Cry I've caught eeels in the past and had to ask my son to take them off the hook as they send shivers down my spine!

I realise they are beautiful creatures and used to see loads when I lived in a moorland cottage, but I always kept my distance and observed from afar.

Spiders I have no ptoblem with and can happily let them crawl all over me but snakes............nah!!!! Big Grin

I'm sure I read recently that a dog was bitten off an adder and the anti-venom cost the owner over £1000 to administer by a vet as it's mainly kept in case of humans being bitten? Huh

PS Just had a thought, include ducks necks in with above. When grabbing a duck the neck is so snakelike it also gives me the shivers
A lot of people feel that way about snakes. 

the £1000 for an anti-venom is complete poppy cock! Or the vet is running a very lucrative scam. The vet up here has always got it in. Unfortunately lots of dogs get bitten every year.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm the same as Vinny. Don't mind snakes when I expect to see them - zoos or as pets - but I don't like being surprised by them in the wild.
I've seen adders in the bracken on the hillside across the road but I don't want them to learn how to cross the road.

Advice on what to do if your dog gets bitten https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-and-adv...es-in-dogs
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(20-08-2022, 03:51 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(20-08-2022, 02:15 PM)Vinny Wrote: Dunno what it is but I am with Indiana Jones on this one as all snakes give me the creeps. Eels as well! Cry I've caught eeels in the past and had to ask my son to take them off the hook as they send shivers down my spine!

A lot of people feel that way about snakes. 

the £1000 for an anti-venom is complete poppy cock! Or the vet is running a very lucrative scam. The vet up here has always got it in. Unfortunately lots of dogs get bitten every year.
I new I had read it somewhee? https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...d-23922096
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Golden ringed dragonfly

Looks like life has been a bit tough recently.
[-] The following 8 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, SarrissUK, Veggie, Vinny