Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds)
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Fancy trying a weed burner of some description.There appears to be three versions, electric,paraffin and gas.

I have to rule out electric as it's for the allotment paths.

Just wondering how long those gas bottles last on the gas version and whether its worth going to the expense of a paraffin version?

I usually just hoe the weeds on the paths and leave them to dry out. The problem is that with the uncertain weather we have they never dry out and tend to re-root.
Burning them seems a good alternative and is quite environmentally friendly methinks.

Anyone got any info, or use a weed burner? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know someone who used a gas cylinder one - initially with the aim of nuking weeds in the drive paving. Apparently they were a waste of time and gas. Its now used to start the bonfire!
Have you tried spraying with vinegar and washing up liquid?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I have the gas one and it’s as useful as a chocolate tea pot. The only thing that works for me is Roundup. But then again I live in the country side on a bog with weed seeds blowing everywhere all the time.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
I don't want to use weedkillers or any pollutants on the paths because they may not always be paths. The plot is still evolving so Gaud knows what it will be like next year. Rolleyes
Somewhere in my shed I have a blowtorch attached to an airosol bottle I used for soldering copper tubing on my central heating system. If I can find it, and even though it will involve a lot of bending, it may give me an idea of how a gas torch will perform. Idea

If I gaffer tape it to a cane I may not need to buy a new one! Rolleyes Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you hoe the weeds off and hoe over them every couple of weeks they don't have time to root - that's what I do.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(04-08-2020, 06:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: If you hoe the weeds off and hoe over them every couple of weeks they don't have time to root - that's what I do.
That's what I do at present as well. Some of the areas I hoe have buried rocks etc and I just thought it might be easier nuking them. Huh
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Path weeding is the bane of my life. It's usually now that my garden starts to look a bit lost. I won't use weedkiller on my gravel path because I don't want to harm the birds or hedgehogs ( fed a baby one last night Smile )
Every year I say to myself - next year will be better but I don't ever seem to break the cycle.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Roitelet Offline
I have a weed burner attached to a 15 kilo gas bottle. Works fine on things like grass and annual weeds but not do good on perennials weeds. Spray with vinegar first then when the tops have died off blast them with the flame gun. It only really works if the soil is dry. It still doesn’t kill off the roots but does get all the seedlings.
[-] The following 2 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Curly Offline
If you can pick up a parrafin burner at a decent price they are the best because they get up to a high temperature  the small gas  bottle weed wonds are ok for light annual weeds and great for lighting the barbecue but anything else hopeless
[-] The following 2 users Like Curly's post:
  • JJB, Vinny