Garden And Gossip Forums
Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) (/showthread.php?tid=441)

Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Vinny - 04-08-2020

Fancy trying a weed burner of some description.There appears to be three versions, electric,paraffin and gas.

I have to rule out electric as it's for the allotment paths.

Just wondering how long those gas bottles last on the gas version and whether its worth going to the expense of a paraffin version?

I usually just hoe the weeds on the paths and leave them to dry out. The problem is that with the uncertain weather we have they never dry out and tend to re-root.
Burning them seems a good alternative and is quite environmentally friendly methinks.

Anyone got any info, or use a weed burner? Huh

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Veggie - 04-08-2020

I know someone who used a gas cylinder one - initially with the aim of nuking weeds in the drive paving. Apparently they were a waste of time and gas. Its now used to start the bonfire!
Have you tried spraying with vinegar and washing up liquid?

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Can the Man - 04-08-2020

I have the gas one and it’s as useful as a chocolate tea pot. The only thing that works for me is Roundup. But then again I live in the country side on a bog with weed seeds blowing everywhere all the time.

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Vinny - 04-08-2020

I don't want to use weedkillers or any pollutants on the paths because they may not always be paths. The plot is still evolving so Gaud knows what it will be like next year. Rolleyes
Somewhere in my shed I have a blowtorch attached to an airosol bottle I used for soldering copper tubing on my central heating system. If I can find it, and even though it will involve a lot of bending, it may give me an idea of how a gas torch will perform. Idea

If I gaffer tape it to a cane I may not need to buy a new one! Rolleyes Big Grin

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Veggie - 04-08-2020

If you hoe the weeds off and hoe over them every couple of weeks they don't have time to root - that's what I do.

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Vinny - 04-08-2020

(04-08-2020, 06:50 PM)Veggie Wrote: If you hoe the weeds off and hoe over them every couple of weeks they don't have time to root - that's what I do.
That's what I do at present as well. Some of the areas I hoe have buried rocks etc and I just thought it might be easier nuking them. Huh

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Scarlet - 05-08-2020

Path weeding is the bane of my life. It's usually now that my garden starts to look a bit lost. I won't use weedkiller on my gravel path because I don't want to harm the birds or hedgehogs ( fed a baby one last night Smile )
Every year I say to myself - next year will be better but I don't ever seem to break the cycle.

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Roitelet - 05-08-2020

I have a weed burner attached to a 15 kilo gas bottle. Works fine on things like grass and annual weeds but not do good on perennials weeds. Spray with vinegar first then when the tops have died off blast them with the flame gun. It only really works if the soil is dry. It still doesn’t kill off the roots but does get all the seedlings.

RE: Shall I nuke the suckers? (Weeds) - Curly - 07-08-2020

If you can pick up a parrafin burner at a decent price they are the best because they get up to a high temperature  the small gas  bottle weed wonds are ok for light annual weeds and great for lighting the barbecue but anything else hopeless