Tomato Gallery
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
That looks fab! Lovely size too. Can you cut most of the leaves off as it grows?

toomanytommytoes Offline
The advice for Dwarf Tomato Project varieties is no pruning. They are essentially short indeterminates so I guess you could take some leaves off, but removing stems and suckers will really reduce the yield.

Mine were grown in 15 L pots with a cage to match the width of the pot, so the stems (of which there were many!) were squashed together. I think if they were given more space to spread out the botytris wouldn't be such an issue.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

mcdood Offline
Had myself a little taste test of 3 cherry(?) tomatoes this morning:

1) Alaskan Fancy - semi bush - quite a large Red cherry fruit, I found this quite bland and doubt I'd grow again
2) Latah - bush - smallish red cherry - meant to be early and I sowed early but I had stunted growth problems with the 3 plants, lost 2 and thought I'd lose the 3rd, it survived but was no longer early. I will aim to save seeds of this and try it again as I found it very tasty

3) Black Vernissage - cordon - Dark Red/Black Cherry with green flecks - attractive fruit but I found the taste quite disappointing, it was Ok but nowt special. I will aim to save seeds. 

Verdict - Latah was the clear winner to me much tastier than the other two.
[-] The following 6 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Minibel
 Small by name and by nature. Perfect to grow on a windowsill as its very compact and productive.
Its one of my January sown toms - the others were Rambling Red Stripe (RRS),  Three Cheeses High (TCH) and Bajaja. All of these started off fine but a mouse/squirrel got into the GH and ate/broke stems on those. I managed to salvage the Minibel because it was in such a small container and easy to move.
I always grow RRS and TCH and have grown Bajaja before. Probably won't grow Bajaja again - poor yield and slow to fruit compared to the others
Wonky Shopkeeper & Florager in Sunshiny South Wales.  Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-07-2021, 11:32 AM)mcdood Wrote: Had myself a little taste test of 3 cherry(?) tomatoes this morning:

1) Alaskan Fancy - semi bush - quite a large Red cherry fruit, I found this quite bland and doubt I'd grow again
2) Latah - bush - smallish red cherry - meant to be early and I sowed early but I had stunted growth problems with the 3 plants, lost 2 and thought I'd lose the 3rd, it survived but was no longer early. I will aim to save seeds of this and try it again as I found it very tasty

3) Black Vernissage - cordon - Dark Red/Black Cherry with green flecks - attractive fruit but I found the taste quite disappointing, it was Ok but nowt special. I will aim to save seeds. 

Verdict - Latah was the clear winner to me much tastier than the other two.
I really like Latah, I used to grow it lots but it doesn't like the cold. It is very quick from seed to ripe fruit though if kept in a greenhouse.
I would keep undercover and then move out when greenhouse space started to get tight. Usually one of the first to give fruit and most often in early June.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • mcdood, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Malachite Box (Malakhitovaya Shkatulka)

Green tomato, gets a bit of a yellow tinge when ripe. Very meaty with creamy flesh, delicate sweetness and acidity, a nice balance. First ripe tomato 2nd week of July. Strong plant, very early to set fruit, looks to be quite productive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • MartinH, mcdood, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Grushovka

Pink determinate tomato. Pretty well behaved in its growth habit. Soft flesh, very juicy, quite sweet, not much acidity. Not a brash kind of tomato taste but quite enjoyable. Looks to be very productive. First ripe fruit 3rd week of July, grown outside.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli