Garden And Gossip Forums
Tomato Gallery - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Tomato (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Tomato Gallery (/showthread.php?tid=382)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Tomato Gallery - Scarlet - 19-07-2020

Gardening is very visual for me - my phone always runs out of data as I take so many photos. So this thread is to post your tomato pics. I haven't grown many interesting ones this year but I'm hoping I will get some new seed for Christmas....I'm already planning next years!

RE: Tomato Gallery - Scarlet - 19-07-2020

Black Vernissage

[attachment=783]

This is a lovely looking salad tomato, good size for lunch Smile . Dark red with green stripes. Great eaten fresh. I haven't cooked with it this year yet but it makes a lovely pasta sauce. There's about 6 tomatoes on each truss. Worth a try if you like rich black tomato taste.

RE: Tomato Gallery - JJB - 24-07-2020

Cour di bue, my first ever.

[attachment=817]

RE: Tomato Gallery - toomanytommytoes - 24-07-2020

Maglia Rosa

Semi-determinate plant, lots and lots of flowers so looks like it will be very productive. Bred by the creator of Blush. The plant is outside in a raised bed and is about 3 ft tall and 2 ft wide. The taste and texture of the tomato in my hand wasn't great, a bit mealy and not much flavour at all. The breeder himself says the fruit with the best colour (deep, pink-red) don't have the best flavour. Decided to test which degree of ripeness gives the best flavour, I would say the middle three in the second photo, so picked when more orangey with a blush of pink. It has a sharp zip and zesty flavour and I think would be really nice in salads.

RE: Tomato Gallery - Scarlet - 24-07-2020

Fab review TMT. I could cope with the bland mealy texture of blush when mixed in with others in a salad so I would definitely give that one a try.

Blush
 I actually didn't mind blush- it is prolific and even though I don't eat it fresh much, in a sauce it not bad. I found when fresh it can be a bit mealy,( though I think all orange and yellow toms have that texture?) but when mixed in with others in a salad it isn't so bad and the colour really does make the dish look fab. Zing it up with some good tasting ones and you have the best of both worlds? I'm not a huge lover of yellow and orange toms to be honest - they are all a bit bland. But the huge amount of fruit this plant produces is pretty amazing - so worth just adding one plant in at least to give it a go IMO - and the kids always love the yellow coloured tomatoes! Maybe wine has affected my taste buds Big Grin

[attachment=826]

RE: Tomato Gallery - JJB - 25-07-2020

[attachment=829]

Sweet Casaday (seeds from Premier Seeds) with a £2 coin for size reference.  A new one to me purported to be sweet but these two weren't that sweet, I perhaps should have left them a day or two longer.  A different shape than I'm used to and has a nice shimmer to it.

[attachment=830]

Today's haul.  Large ones from GH Shirley and  Pineapple.  Small orange the usual Sungold.  Ildi, Sweet Aperatif, Rosella, Sweet Casaday accompanying.

RE: Tomato Gallery - toomanytommytoes - 01-08-2020

Jaune Flamme

Much bigger fruit than last year. Quite tart, I prefer my tomatoes to be more balanced. That said, I only really eat tomatoes on their own when I'm reviewing their taste, and the acidity of this one is great in salads. Good producer, pretty fruit and fairly early to ripen.

RE: Tomato Gallery - toomanytommytoes - 01-08-2020

Dwarf Arctic Rose

One of the varieties from the Dwarf Tomato Project, originating from a cross between Budai Torpe and Black From Tula. A very compact plant, only around 2ft tall. It's outside in a raised bed and currently has around 10 tomatoes on it, not all this big. Very creamy texture which I love, but the taste is quite mild.

RE: Tomato Gallery - Veggie - 01-08-2020

Stupice from Real Seeds

[attachment=900][attachment=901][attachment=902][attachment=903]

Cordon - heading towards the ridge as we speak. 
Large salad tomatoes on downward hanging trusses.
First ripe tom - end July.
Potato leaf so a risk of cross pollination with other tomatoes. I've grown them in a GH on their own.

Consistent size and shape. Firm to pick and hung well on truss until picked.

Taste - juicy, not many seeds, sweetish but I was disappointed - I like a bit of a tang but I have only tasted one so the others may be better.
Overall, good size for a salad or sandwich but too big for grazing on!!

Real Seeds description 
Stupice EARLY VINE
This fantastic 1954 variety from Eastern Europe is the earliest of all our vine tomatoes.

We had a rare tomato trial in 2010 and this one was noticeably earlier than the others; we got a great crop simply in large pots on our patio, despite the rainy summer. The plants are vigorous  and produce red fruit with an excellent flavour.  Ideal for outdoors, but also good in a greenhouse for early crops.
Larger than a cherry tomato, but not as big as a beefsteak type, the fruit are about two inches across and ideal for salad use.
Fast-fruiting variety for shorter summers, ideal if you grow your tomatoes outdoors.

RE: Tomato Gallery - doublyjonah - 01-08-2020

[attachment=904]

Yellow Pear, Gardener's Delight, and Black Cherry. I'll let you figure out which is which Smile

Yellow Pear - First year growing it. Only had a couple so far. They've been sweet, soft, and fleshy. My daughter really likes the flavor, and I like the flavor but wouldn't want to eat loads without mixing in something with more acidity. Very cute, if you care about that sort of thing.

Gardener's Delight - I'm probably the last person to start growing these (last year), but I'll still say we find them to have good texture and flavor. Grown from saved seeds from my free plant from a garden centre last year. Tastes better being doubly free.

Black Cherry - First year growing it. The few we've eaten had a very strange texture. Lots of very soft, squishy flesh. Good flavor though and didn't mind the texture once I was convinced there was nothing wrong with the tomato.