Tomato Gallery
Farendwoman Offline
Meant to say that the Garden Peach is really good, sweet and juicy. Have never grown this one before. (Isn’t the seed circle brilliant giving us so many opportunities to try something different!). 
The Violet Jasper also has a good flavour , but is not a patch on the Garden Peach , and also it (VJ)has pretty thick and chewy skin. That could be down to me and my erratic watering though.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • mcdood, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(01-08-2021, 03:59 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Three Violet Jasper, one Sungold (that isn’t Sungold) and one Garden Peach.
What happened to the Sungold, I hear you say. Why - it turned into a one pound coin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(01-08-2021, 04:06 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Meant to say that the Garden Peach is really good, sweet and juicy. Have never grown this one before. (Isn’t the seed circle brilliant giving us so many opportunities to try something different!). 
The Violet Jasper also has a good flavour , but is not a patch on the Garden Peach , and also it (VJ)has pretty thick and chewy skin. That could be down to me and my erratic watering though.
Are you saving seeds for the Seed Circle 2021, FEW? Hint, hint. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(31-07-2021, 10:16 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(31-07-2021, 11:32 AM)mcdood Wrote: Paul Robeson v Berkeley Tie Dye taste test.

I've been looking forward to my first Berkeley Tie Dye as always get good reviews.
Not the finest looking examples. PR left and BTD right  or top/bottom when you open the images !

Paul Robeson has been one of my favourites for a few years and was much earlier to fruit than Berkeley but wow Berkeley really does taste as good as the reviews say, it almost tastes like it's already been salted. Straight to the top of my must grow list. Smile

Forgot to mention the saltiness in my post, really interesting. Still the best tomato I've tasted so far. This year I've also got Daniel Burson and Big Cheef for dark tomatoes, but not impressed with either in terms of yield or earliness. I've got a list of dark tomatoes to try and Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye is the bench mark.
I love it too! I'm growing it again this year
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(01-08-2021, 04:13 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(01-08-2021, 04:06 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Meant to say that the Garden Peach is really good, sweet and juicy. Have never grown this one before. (Isn’t the seed circle brilliant giving us so many opportunities to try something different!). 
Are you saving seeds for the Seed Circle 2021, FEW? Hint, hint. Smile
You bet!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Mat-Su Express

Bred by Mark and Sherry from Alaska. They wanted an early, great tasting, red beefsteak. It's a cross between Bloody Butcher and Cowlicks Brandywine. Potato leaf, really good producer, first ripe fruit 2nd week of July. The fruit vary quite a bit in shape or size. It's pretty juicy and the flavour is rich, full-bodied with an excellent balance of sweet and tangy. So far we've had 42 fruit off one plant (grown to two stems) with a total weight of 6.5kg. Really impressed by its earliness, yield and flavour, would definitely grow again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Northern Lights

A cool mixture of red/pink/orange/yellow in the skin and flesh. Quite mild, mostly sweet with a little tang and a spicy/salty taste towards the end. Very meaty and tender. Enjoyable to eat. First ripe fruit 3rd week of August. Average fruit weight so far is 230g. Looks be a good yielder.

[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Daniel Burson

A cross between Indian Stripe and Daniels. Indian Stripe itself is a more productive, earlier strain of Cherokee Purple. I'm not going to review the taste of this, which was really pretty bland, as the tomato was ripened completely off the vine from a green stage. The plant was in the more damp/shady corner of the greenhouse and the string holding the vines up snapped, damaging the stems. Botrytis came for it early so I cut the plant down to prevent it spreading to the rest of the plants in the greenhouse. It seems a very good yielder though and I really like the colouration. Inside it was very meaty with an excellent, creamy texture. Would grow it again to let it prove itself under less stressful conditions!

• Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
EM Champion

Determinate tomato from Russia. Grows to about 3ft tall, it's a bit of a sprawler and outgrew its cage width-wise so needed some staking. Grown outside, first ripe fruit 3rd week of July. Fantastic yield of 16kg from two plants (I cut them down last week as one plant was showing signs of blight). Fruit are a mixture of sizes and mostly heart shaped. Juicy, meaty, more sweet than tangy, overall very good taste.

• Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Orange Jazz

Vine, beefsteak tomato from the breeder who produced Blush and the Bumblebee cherries. Strong plant, huge yielder. First ripe fruit 2nd week of August. Average fruit weight of around 250g, the biggest so far was over 500g. Meaty and juicy with smooth textured flesh. The taste is fruity (tropical?) and sweet.

[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie