Could you describe another as an animal
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm afraid the gardening gene isn't hereditary. My lad when he was little was helping me to plant out veges. We finished the row very proudly and he asked 'what have we planted mummy?' I told him cabbages. He replied 'YUK! I hate cabbage!' and proceeded to pull the lot out. So much for teaching kids where their food comes from so they appreciate it! Sad He's a bit better now he's grown, marginally.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey

Mikey Offline
You’re mean, Tongue  we don’t develop the ability to appreciate bitter until our late teens. Some of us though I think have an inability to recognise it, which was why even from a very young age I loved sprouts they taste really sweet to me.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(05-07-2020, 08:44 PM)JJB Wrote: I'm afraid the gardening gene isn't hereditary.  My lad when he was little was helping me to plant out veges.  We finished the row very proudly and he asked 'what have we planted mummy?'  I told him cabbages.  He replied  'YUK! I hate cabbage!'  and proceeded to pull the lot out.  So much for teaching kids where their food comes from so they appreciate it! Sad  He's a bit better now he's grown, marginally.
Maybe he didn't like cabbage because of the way you cooked them.Smile
I'm sure my Mum used to put bicarb or summat in the water to keep it green - then proceeded to boil it to sludge. It was enough to put anyone off cabbage. Not that you'd do anything so heinous as that JJB. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I still use baking soda in the water when boiling cabbage but I don’t boil the crap out of it. My cabbage has a bit of a bite out of it.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(05-07-2020, 09:46 PM)Can the Man Wrote: My cabbage has a bit of a bite out of it.
That'll be the caterpillars!
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey, Small chilli

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(05-07-2020, 10:21 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 09:46 PM)Can the Man Wrote: My cabbage has a bit of a bite out of it.
That'll be the caterpillars!
 Not that type of bite  Tongue
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Mikey, Veggie

Mikey Offline
Is it a welsh thing, my mother always put bicarb in with the green veg they become luminous. She also boiled it until you no longer required your teeth to eat it. bleugh.

Everything is steamed in our house, I would say though the gravy my mam made having removed all the nutrients from the veg was wonderful.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mikey's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
My dad used to drink the cabbage water - said it was full of goodness - whatever that meant!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mikey

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
My MiL used boil the cabbage in the bacon water, it was disgustingly salty and greasy, I could never eat it, it was generally white stalky cabbage, I wouldn’t call it cabbage. To me cabbage is green and leafy and the bicarbonate keeps it that way.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(07-07-2020, 06:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: My dad used to drink the cabbage water - said it was full of goodness - whatever that meant!

My grandma did the same, and told me the same.  Grandma was a bit dotty though, you'd have loved her.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mikey, Veggie