2024 - Picked my first.........
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Share your delight at picking your first ******* of the year. 
Earlier years for comparison at https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=1858
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Like SC I've cut the first rhubarb. Paultons Pride and some longer stalks scrumped (with permission)from next door! I wouldn't recommend Paultons Pride, although it's a sweeter rhubarb , the stalks are thin and short.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I thought Poulton's Pride was a long cropping rhubarb - maybe it'll get bigger and better later in the year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just looked Paultons Pride up. Never heard of it before. I think your neighbour has a young plant or a struggling plant (needs splitting? ) . From my quick research. Skinny short stems weren’t mentioned. I’m quite tempted. A long season slightly sweeter rhubarb sounds good to me. But then a short season rhubarb is much better for my waistline.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(19-03-2024, 12:14 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Just looked Paultons Pride up. Never heard of it before. I think your neighbour has a young plant or a struggling plant (needs splitting? ) . From my quick research. Skinny short stems weren’t mentioned. I’m quite tempted. A long season slightly sweeter rhubarb sounds good to me. But then a short season rhubarb is much better for my waistline.

Paulton's Pride is mine. Nextdoor's is bog standard 3ft high monster. I too thought a longer cropping, sweeter rhubarb would be great but the first couple of years after planting were definitely a disappointment.  It was weak and very needy. It's established now, less needy, but the stalks are only a foot, if that long. It does crop longer. Maybe I should feed it more but my old rhubarb never got special care. The sweeter stalks are OK but they have lost the 'rhubarby' acid tang that normal rhubarb has. It's good if mixed with nextdoor's though. Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-03-2024, 10:29 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-03-2024, 12:14 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Just looked Paultons Pride up. Never heard of it before. I think your neighbour has a young plant or a struggling plant (needs splitting? ) . From my quick research. Skinny short stems weren’t mentioned. I’m quite tempted. A long season slightly sweeter rhubarb sounds good to me. But then a short season rhubarb is much better for my waistline.

Paulton's Pride is mine. Nextdoor's is bog standard 3ft high monster. I too thought a longer cropping, sweeter rhubarb would be great but the first couple of years after planting were definitely a disappointment.  It was weak and very needy. It's established now, less needy, but the stalks are only a foot, if that long. It does crop longer. Maybe I should feed it more but my old rhubarb never got special care. The sweeter stalks are OK but they have lost the 'rhubarby' acid tang that normal rhubarb has. It's good if mixed with nextdoor's though. Smile
You’ve talked me out of my temptation. Thanks JJB    Big Grin . Nothing worse than a prima Donna rhubarb, she’s all yours  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Picked some Rhubarb - couldn't wait any longer!

MartinH Offline
Picked my first proper salad of the year!

Lettuce, Mizuna, Radish and Spring Onions from the greenhouse, Cucumber and Tomato from the windowsill.

[-] The following 6 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(16-04-2024, 03:56 PM)MartinH Wrote: Picked my first proper salad of the year!

Lettuce, Mizuna, Radish and Spring Onions from the greenhouse, Cucumber and Tomato from the windowsill.
I'm impressed.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, MartinH, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-04-2024, 08:21 AM)JJB Wrote:
(16-04-2024, 03:56 PM)MartinH Wrote: Picked my first proper salad of the year!

I'm impressed.
I'm jealous!  Rolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, MartinH