Garden And Gossip Forums
2024 - Picked my first......... - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: What I did today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: What I harvested today (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=78)
+--- Thread: 2024 - Picked my first......... (/showthread.php?tid=2136)

Pages: 1 2

2024 - Picked my first......... - Veggie - 18-03-2024

Share your delight at picking your first ******* of the year. 
Earlier years for comparison at https://gardenandgossip.org/showthread.php?tid=1858

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - JJB - 18-03-2024

Like SC I've cut the first rhubarb. Paultons Pride and some longer stalks scrumped (with permission)from next door! I wouldn't recommend Paultons Pride, although it's a sweeter rhubarb , the stalks are thin and short.

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - Veggie - 18-03-2024

I thought Poulton's Pride was a long cropping rhubarb - maybe it'll get bigger and better later in the year.

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - Small chilli - 19-03-2024

Just looked Paultons Pride up. Never heard of it before. I think your neighbour has a young plant or a struggling plant (needs splitting? ) . From my quick research. Skinny short stems weren’t mentioned. I’m quite tempted. A long season slightly sweeter rhubarb sounds good to me. But then a short season rhubarb is much better for my waistline.

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - JJB - 19-03-2024

(19-03-2024, 12:14 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Just looked Paultons Pride up. Never heard of it before. I think your neighbour has a young plant or a struggling plant (needs splitting? ) . From my quick research. Skinny short stems weren’t mentioned. I’m quite tempted. A long season slightly sweeter rhubarb sounds good to me. But then a short season rhubarb is much better for my waistline.

Paulton's Pride is mine. Nextdoor's is bog standard 3ft high monster. I too thought a longer cropping, sweeter rhubarb would be great but the first couple of years after planting were definitely a disappointment.  It was weak and very needy. It's established now, less needy, but the stalks are only a foot, if that long. It does crop longer. Maybe I should feed it more but my old rhubarb never got special care. The sweeter stalks are OK but they have lost the 'rhubarby' acid tang that normal rhubarb has. It's good if mixed with nextdoor's though. Smile

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - Small chilli - 19-03-2024

(19-03-2024, 10:29 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-03-2024, 12:14 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Just looked Paultons Pride up. Never heard of it before. I think your neighbour has a young plant or a struggling plant (needs splitting? ) . From my quick research. Skinny short stems weren’t mentioned. I’m quite tempted. A long season slightly sweeter rhubarb sounds good to me. But then a short season rhubarb is much better for my waistline.

Paulton's Pride is mine. Nextdoor's is bog standard 3ft high monster. I too thought a longer cropping, sweeter rhubarb would be great but the first couple of years after planting were definitely a disappointment.  It was weak and very needy. It's established now, less needy, but the stalks are only a foot, if that long. It does crop longer. Maybe I should feed it more but my old rhubarb never got special care. The sweeter stalks are OK but they have lost the 'rhubarby' acid tang that normal rhubarb has. It's good if mixed with nextdoor's though. Smile
You’ve talked me out of my temptation. Thanks JJB    Big Grin . Nothing worse than a prima Donna rhubarb, she’s all yours  Big Grin

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - Veggie - 20-03-2024

Picked some Rhubarb - couldn't wait any longer!

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - MartinH - 16-04-2024

Picked my first proper salad of the year!

Lettuce, Mizuna, Radish and Spring Onions from the greenhouse, Cucumber and Tomato from the windowsill.

[attachment=7479]

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - JJB - 17-04-2024

(16-04-2024, 03:56 PM)MartinH Wrote: Picked my first proper salad of the year!

Lettuce, Mizuna, Radish and Spring Onions from the greenhouse, Cucumber and Tomato from the windowsill.
I'm impressed.

RE: 2024 - Picked my first......... - Veggie - 17-04-2024

(17-04-2024, 08:21 AM)JJB Wrote:
(16-04-2024, 03:56 PM)MartinH Wrote: Picked my first proper salad of the year!

I'm impressed.
I'm jealous!  Rolleyes