Carnivore bread
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have adopted a mostly carnivore lifestyle but I do miss some aspects of the way I used to eat. I don't use any seed oils and don't eat any food made from grains.

I think evryone likes a burger with cheese and gerkins now and again but even though I eat a lot of 'smashburgers' comprised of beef mince with nothing added I do miss having them in a bread bun and eaten in the hand rather than with a knife and fork? To this end I have experimented with making a carnivore bread bun alternative?
I bought pig skin from Morrisons very cheaply, cut it up into small pieces and cooked it in the air fryer. It was still a bit hard for the teeth so I blitzed it in a mixer and made pork Panko from it. This would be my carnivore flour substitute.
I mixed in a couple of eggs and half a tub of full fat soft cheese. I poured the mixture into a silicone insert for the air frye rand cooked 10 minutes then turned it overand cooked for another 5 minutes.
The result is shown below where I cut a small bit off to taste it. It was like a 'stodgy' breadbut was ok. I will cut it in half and use it as a bread bun substitute with a burger. In future I will use a ramekin which should make it more of  a 'proper' burger size.

An experiment which I am very pleased with. Cool

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-03-2024, 06:23 PM)Vinny Wrote: I have adopted a mostly carnivore lifestyle but I do miss some aspects of the way I used to eat. I don't use any seed oils and don't eat any food made from grains.

I think evryone likes a burger with cheese and gerkins now and again but even though I eat a lot of 'smashburgers' comprised of beef mince with nothing added I do miss having them in a bread bun and eaten in the hand rather than with a knife and fork? To this end I have experimented with making a carnivore bread bun alternative?
I bought pig skin from Morrisons very cheaply, cut it up into small pieces and cooked it in the air fryer. It was still a bit hard for the teeth so I blitzed it in a mixer and made pork Panko from it. This would be my carnivore flour substitute.
I mixed in a couple of eggs and half a tub of full fat soft cheese. I poured the mixture into a silicone insert for the air frye rand cooked 10 minutes then turned it overand cooked for another 5 minutes.
The result is shown below where I cut a small bit off to taste it. It was like a 'stodgy' breadbut was ok. I will cut it in half and use it as a bread bun substitute with a burger. In future I will use a ramekin which should make it more of  a 'proper' burger size.

An experiment which I am very pleased with. Cool

Ingenious Vinny.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Could you make burger sized deep omelettes to "sandwich" the burger? Maybe use those egg frying rings to keep the shape and depth.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(08-03-2024, 11:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: Could you make burger sized deep omelettes to "sandwich" the burger? Maybe use those egg frying rings to keep the shape and depth.
I could,but what I have made has more of a bready consistancy. I am now wondering whether it would be even lighter if I only used the egg whites? That experiment is for another day though! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(09-03-2024, 07:55 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 11:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: Could you make burger sized deep omelettes to "sandwich" the burger? Maybe use those egg frying rings to keep the shape and depth.
I could,but what I have made has more of a bready consistancy. I am now wondering whether it would be even lighter if I only used the egg whites? That experiment is for another day though! Smile

Or use the yolk as binder and whisk the whites and fold in at the end.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny