Garden And Gossip Forums
Carnivore bread - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Kitchen Talk (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: DIY Kitchen (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Carnivore bread (/showthread.php?tid=2129)

Carnivore bread - Vinny - 08-03-2024

I have adopted a mostly carnivore lifestyle but I do miss some aspects of the way I used to eat. I don't use any seed oils and don't eat any food made from grains.

I think evryone likes a burger with cheese and gerkins now and again but even though I eat a lot of 'smashburgers' comprised of beef mince with nothing added I do miss having them in a bread bun and eaten in the hand rather than with a knife and fork? To this end I have experimented with making a carnivore bread bun alternative?
I bought pig skin from Morrisons very cheaply, cut it up into small pieces and cooked it in the air fryer. It was still a bit hard for the teeth so I blitzed it in a mixer and made pork Panko from it. This would be my carnivore flour substitute.
I mixed in a couple of eggs and half a tub of full fat soft cheese. I poured the mixture into a silicone insert for the air frye rand cooked 10 minutes then turned it overand cooked for another 5 minutes.
The result is shown below where I cut a small bit off to taste it. It was like a 'stodgy' breadbut was ok. I will cut it in half and use it as a bread bun substitute with a burger. In future I will use a ramekin which should make it more of  a 'proper' burger size.

An experiment which I am very pleased with. Cool

RE: Carnivore bread - JJB - 08-03-2024

(08-03-2024, 06:23 PM)Vinny Wrote: I have adopted a mostly carnivore lifestyle but I do miss some aspects of the way I used to eat. I don't use any seed oils and don't eat any food made from grains.

I think evryone likes a burger with cheese and gerkins now and again but even though I eat a lot of 'smashburgers' comprised of beef mince with nothing added I do miss having them in a bread bun and eaten in the hand rather than with a knife and fork? To this end I have experimented with making a carnivore bread bun alternative?
I bought pig skin from Morrisons very cheaply, cut it up into small pieces and cooked it in the air fryer. It was still a bit hard for the teeth so I blitzed it in a mixer and made pork Panko from it. This would be my carnivore flour substitute.
I mixed in a couple of eggs and half a tub of full fat soft cheese. I poured the mixture into a silicone insert for the air frye rand cooked 10 minutes then turned it overand cooked for another 5 minutes.
The result is shown below where I cut a small bit off to taste it. It was like a 'stodgy' breadbut was ok. I will cut it in half and use it as a bread bun substitute with a burger. In future I will use a ramekin which should make it more of  a 'proper' burger size.

An experiment which I am very pleased with. Cool

Ingenious Vinny.

RE: Carnivore bread - Veggie - 08-03-2024

Could you make burger sized deep omelettes to "sandwich" the burger? Maybe use those egg frying rings to keep the shape and depth.

RE: Carnivore bread - Vinny - 09-03-2024

(08-03-2024, 11:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: Could you make burger sized deep omelettes to "sandwich" the burger? Maybe use those egg frying rings to keep the shape and depth.
I could,but what I have made has more of a bready consistancy. I am now wondering whether it would be even lighter if I only used the egg whites? That experiment is for another day though! Smile

RE: Carnivore bread - JJB - 09-03-2024

(09-03-2024, 07:55 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 11:49 PM)Veggie Wrote: Could you make burger sized deep omelettes to "sandwich" the burger? Maybe use those egg frying rings to keep the shape and depth.
I could,but what I have made has more of a bready consistancy. I am now wondering whether it would be even lighter if I only used the egg whites? That experiment is for another day though! Smile

Or use the yolk as binder and whisk the whites and fold in at the end.