2024 - What I did today
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(12-02-2024, 01:31 PM)Veggie Wrote: That's sad, Jen. The end of an era. Hope your new owners are nice.
First impressions several months ago when they were viewing were good. We chatted for about 10 mins, would have been more but I had a  bus to catch. They have a field spaniel and we're thinking about a second. They like a plain garden - dog run? They said they had chopped down lots of trees in their existing house. There are a few 60 ft conifers that I would welcome out of the way next door as they shade my gh. No kids I think. They were measuring up for renovations. The new bods are from Leatherhead in  their 60s. They collect keys on Friday. Interesting times.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(12-02-2024, 03:04 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(12-02-2024, 01:31 PM)Veggie Wrote: That's sad, Jen. The end of an era. Hope your new owners are nice.
The auld fella who lives next door to me in my semi is hardly ever at home now and stays with his son in Scotland. The upshot is I can have the telly on full blast for footy and boxing, which is usually late at night. The downside is that if he decides to sell, you can't choose your neighbours! Rolleyes

Vinny do you think the reason he stays away is because you have the telly on full blast? Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
First task was to put a load of washing out on the line to dry (most of it did before the sun disappeared). Always makes me happy. Big Grin
Raked some couch grass away from the edges of "beds" or to you, rotting logs. The big old slices of ash wood are rotting now, so I whack them with the rake, or whatever is in my hand, to split them into smaller pieces which, eventually become my version of wood chip. Its very satisfying!
Gave the courgette, cucumber and bean seedlings a day in the sun in the GH. They're back indoors now.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Finished off pruning the blackberry thug then washed the outside of the gh's to get rid of some of the algae. Insides are for another day.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(12-02-2024, 03:21 PM)JJB Wrote:
(12-02-2024, 03:04 PM)Vinny Wrote:
The auld fella who lives next door to me in my semi is hardly ever at home now and stays with his son in Scotland. The upshot is I can have the telly on full blast for footy and boxing, which is usually late at night. The downside is that if he decides to sell, you can't choose your neighbours! Rolleyes

Vinny do you think the reason he stays away is because you have the telly on full blast? Big Grin
Nah, I know the reason. His wife died unexpectedly about a year ago. They were childhood sweethearts and she did everything for him. I don't think he can boil an egg or look after himself, doing the washing and suchlike. He won't stay in the house by himself and only comes back occasionally when his Son or Daughter stops with him for a few nights.
I know when he is in residence and I turn the telly down when he is at home, which is not very often. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(12-02-2024, 08:44 PM)Veggie Wrote: First task was to put a load of washing out on the line to dry (most of it did before the sun disappeared). Always makes me happy. Big Grin
Raked some couch grass away from the edges of "beds" or to you, rotting logs. The big old slices of ash wood are rotting now, so I whack them with the rake, or whatever is in my hand, to split them into smaller pieces which, eventually become my version of wood chip. Its very satisfying!
Gave the courgette, cucumber and bean seedlings a day in the sun in the GH. They're back indoors now.
I had the washing out for a blow today as well and it did dry before the sun went down. I did make a mistake though of washing Kato's blanket with my clothes which transferred Kato's hairs to some of my clothes! Angry The breeze blew most of the hairs off though but a couple will need washed again by themselves to get the rest of the hairs off! You live and learn and I won't fall into that trap agai! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Potted on the sweet pea seedlings.
Planted a white buddleia and Michaelmas daisy next to Badger.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Potted up 4 courgette seedlings and 2 cucumbers. Took a gamble and left them in the GH overnight (or was it forgetfulness? ).
Sieved more hotbin compost.
Chopped up some greens for the wormeries.
Now I'm sorting seeds to take to the Splott Seed Swap tomorrow.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Did some raspberry cane pruning and blackberry sucker demolition, Chopped off the dead stalks from more mint and lemon balm.
This is a repeat of what I did yesterday.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Vine weevil grub collecting. The robins love them. Found some more pots infested. Sad They don't seem to have liked tomatoes, but do like primulas and strawberries. I've not had the courage to investigate the hosta pots yet.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie