2024 - What I did today
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
My new greenhouse/cold frame arrived today piece-part. Ground is still in permafrost outdoors so the parcels are indoors waiting to be put togethert/erected when weather permits.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Had to do some emergency blocking up of a hole in the fence into next door's garden. Dear little Spud has been taking himself walk-about again. Problem is that from next door's garden he can go into the fields and from there, onto the road. I've lost count of the times I've tried to block up this bit of fence. Its at a point where the ground drops down into next door and also down into the middle bit of my garden - its an old hedge bank. Spud burrows under the fence and I could see where he'd been through. I've piled logs and rocks over the hole and woven branches from the nearby bay tree through the wire mesh to fill the gaps. Let's see how long it takes him to work his way through this lot!
I was a bit secateur happy at this point so I continued snipping away at elder, brambles, raspberry canes, apple tree, hydrangea, in fact anything that was within easy reach.
Noticed lots of bluebell leaves and daffodils. New shoots on a rose bush too. There may be ice on the water but the plants know that spring is on its way. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Finished off clearing the overgrown asparagus bed of most of the nettles couch, bramble and saplings. Will use for early potatoes there this year to help clear what I've missed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Put new handle on my spade.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Yesterday I took the parts for my new greenhouse/cold frame out of the box ,shook my head and thought "Nah, I'll wait until I am in 'Jigsaw mode' before attempting to put it together. Rolleyes
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Today I got the basic frame of my greenhouse/coldframe lashed together. With an acute case of lack of patience I was ready for kicking it at one time. Rolleyes Still lots of shelving to sort out and the glass to go in. I am not planning on venturing outdoors with it in this weather,so it now has pride of place in my living room! Big Grin
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Moved some sawn up tree (a grand fir that once was a Christmas tree) cut down in early summer into a shed. It is in big rounds that will need chopping up next year (2025) for burning may be 2026. Some were exceedingly heavy which I hope are a lot lighter when they are dry. It amazes me that birds seem to sense when food may be about. While I was moving them a little wren was flitting about looking for disturbed wildlife. I don't know if it was all the woodlice I uncovered or other stuff. every time I approached the pile it hopped into the hedge and was back out again when I went away.
Potted up 2 silver birch that had been growing between some paving slabs which will hopefully survive.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Garrett Offline
Repaired some trellis that had been battered in the recent storms.
Sowed peppers and an aubergine.
Made my final selection of tomato seeds.
Ordered various seeds online I was out of - yes, I actually ran out of some seeds!
[-] The following 3 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Topped up the compost bins with shredded paper and chopped up vegetable matter, added straw to the wormeries. Weeded the patch where I grew some mangetout and squash last year so that's ready to be planted - probably mangetout again on the wire netting.
Gathered and snapped the twigs that had blown off the trees in the last couple of days. I snap them onto the paths - my version of snap and drop.
Raked out more couch grass into heaps and turned the existing heaps of dead grass (hope its dead anyway!).
Quite a busy day although not much to show for it. It was so nice to be outside, without rain and wind to annoy me.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
Decided to move my fruit/bushes from individual pallet collar beds to one of the 3 x 1.5 mtr beds.

Today was phase 1, moved 2 rhubarb.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Veggie