Well pleased
Knotty Offline
Got 2 large boxes of terra cotta pots in all shapes and sizes from a local auction for £30.  I grow cactus in the greenhouse so will have to get my leather gloves out as quite a few are ready for potting on.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 10 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Garrett, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do you have a favourite cactus?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Knotty Offline
(15-07-2023, 11:34 AM)Veggie Wrote: Do you have a favourite cactus?

Not really Veggie, I just like growing them and if I'm honest I don't know their names.  I am inclined to buy them at Fetes, Plant sales etc, cheap and cheerful thats me.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 4 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I can relate to the cheap and cheerful bit. Wink
An aunt-in-law gave me a family heirloom cactus years ago. It was the ugliest, spiniest thing imaginable. It knew I disliked it because it attacked me whenever I was within arm's reach of it. Whenever Aunt visited I had to make sure it was in a prominent position so that she could see how well I took care of it.
Just like Aunt, its no longer with us - the pot fell over and cracked, the cacti creature crawled out onto the carpet and I bid it a "fond farewell".
I've been afraid of cacti ever since!!
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Garrett, Knotty, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-07-2023, 11:49 AM)Veggie Wrote: I can relate to the cheap and cheerful bit. Wink
An aunt-in-law gave me  a family heirloom cactus years ago. It was the ugliest, spiniest thing imaginable. It knew I disliked it because it attacked me whenever I was within arm's reach of it. Whenever Aunt visited I had to make sure it was in a prominent position so that she could see how well I took care of it. 
Just like Aunt, its no longer with us - the pot fell over and cracked, the cacti creature crawled out onto the carpet and I bid it a "fond farewell".

I've got one of those, the cactus not the Aunt, it's evil, grows long droopy spiny fingers and attacks from a distance.  P won't let me throw it out. Repotting it was a nightmare.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
A trick I use when repotting spiky cacti is folding up some newspaper until it's quite thick, then wrapping it around the cactus so you can lift it without touching the stem. I do like the big spiky ones and have 3 that are over 3 ft tall, but my favourite is probably the peanut cactus because it's easier to manage and has nice flowers (for a few days) in spring.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Yep used the newspaper trick. Mine has never flowered to recompense the evilness it has nothing going for it.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-07-2023, 12:10 PM)JJB Wrote:
(15-07-2023, 11:49 AM)Veggie Wrote: I can relate to the cheap and cheerful bit. Wink
An aunt-in-law gave me  a family heirloom cactus years ago. It was the ugliest, spiniest thing imaginable. It knew I disliked it because it attacked me whenever I was within arm's reach of it. Whenever Aunt visited I had to make sure it was in a prominent position so that she could see how well I took care of it. 

I've got one of those, the cactus not the Aunt, it's evil, grows long droopy spiny fingers and attacks from a distance.  P won't let me throw it out. Repotting it was a nightmare.
If P wants it, P should repot it, into one of his big P Pots. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Knotty, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
P is presently perambulating around the premises pondering about P pots. I told him to P off Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Knotty, Veggie, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
As a child I was given one of those cacti that look as if they are covered with soft fluffly down, which in reality conceals tiny fine spines wickedly curled over like miniature fish-hooks. I've hated cacti ever since.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie