Garden And Gossip Forums
Well pleased - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Well pleased (/showthread.php?tid=1965)

Well pleased - Knotty - 15-07-2023

Got 2 large boxes of terra cotta pots in all shapes and sizes from a local auction for £30.  I grow cactus in the greenhouse so will have to get my leather gloves out as quite a few are ready for potting on.

RE: Well pleased - Veggie - 15-07-2023

Do you have a favourite cactus?

RE: Well pleased - Knotty - 15-07-2023

(15-07-2023, 11:34 AM)Veggie Wrote: Do you have a favourite cactus?

Not really Veggie, I just like growing them and if I'm honest I don't know their names.  I am inclined to buy them at Fetes, Plant sales etc, cheap and cheerful thats me.

I can relate to the cheap and cheerful bit. Wink
An aunt-in-law gave me a family heirloom cactus years ago. It was the ugliest, spiniest thing imaginable. It knew I disliked it because it attacked me whenever I was within arm's reach of it. Whenever Aunt visited I had to make sure it was in a prominent position so that she could see how well I took care of it.
Just like Aunt, its no longer with us - the pot fell over and cracked, the cacti creature crawled out onto the carpet and I bid it a "fond farewell".
I've been afraid of cacti ever since!!

RE: Well pleased - JJB - 15-07-2023

(15-07-2023, 11:49 AM)Veggie Wrote: I can relate to the cheap and cheerful bit. Wink
An aunt-in-law gave me  a family heirloom cactus years ago. It was the ugliest, spiniest thing imaginable. It knew I disliked it because it attacked me whenever I was within arm's reach of it. Whenever Aunt visited I had to make sure it was in a prominent position so that she could see how well I took care of it. 
Just like Aunt, its no longer with us - the pot fell over and cracked, the cacti creature crawled out onto the carpet and I bid it a "fond farewell".

I've got one of those, the cactus not the Aunt, it's evil, grows long droopy spiny fingers and attacks from a distance.  P won't let me throw it out. Repotting it was a nightmare.

RE: Well pleased - toomanytommytoes - 15-07-2023

A trick I use when repotting spiky cacti is folding up some newspaper until it's quite thick, then wrapping it around the cactus so you can lift it without touching the stem. I do like the big spiky ones and have 3 that are over 3 ft tall, but my favourite is probably the peanut cactus because it's easier to manage and has nice flowers (for a few days) in spring.

Yep used the newspaper trick. Mine has never flowered to recompense the evilness it has nothing going for it.

(15-07-2023, 12:10 PM)JJB Wrote:
(15-07-2023, 11:49 AM)Veggie Wrote: I can relate to the cheap and cheerful bit. Wink
An aunt-in-law gave me  a family heirloom cactus years ago. It was the ugliest, spiniest thing imaginable. It knew I disliked it because it attacked me whenever I was within arm's reach of it. Whenever Aunt visited I had to make sure it was in a prominent position so that she could see how well I took care of it. 

I've got one of those, the cactus not the Aunt, it's evil, grows long droopy spiny fingers and attacks from a distance.  P won't let me throw it out. Repotting it was a nightmare.
If P wants it, P should repot it, into one of his big P Pots. Big Grin

P is presently perambulating around the premises pondering about P pots. I told him to P off Big Grin

RE: Well pleased - Moth - 15-07-2023

As a child I was given one of those cacti that look as if they are covered with soft fluffly down, which in reality conceals tiny fine spines wickedly curled over like miniature fish-hooks. I've hated cacti ever since.