2023 - What's made you Happy today?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The SPING is SPUNG
The Grass is Riz
I wonder where
Them Boidies is.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman

JJB Offline
Moonraker
The little boids are on the wing
No, that's absoid
The little wings are on the boid!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
(13-02-2023, 04:17 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Photo of crocuses

Oh I love that! I'm gonna have to plant some crocus bulbs in what little will remain of the lawn Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Just had a happy memory whilst eating a digestive biscuit and drinking a glass of milk. Rolleyes

I remebered those little bottles of milk we used to get at school,before Maggie Thatcher got her hands on it and took it away! Angry 

The teachers used to buy digestive biscuits and charge us an old penny each for them! Somehow digestives and milk were a match made in heaven in those days. I was milk monitor so any milk that was left I got first dabs at!
No fridges in those days and during the summer the milk was sometimes quite warm. Modern kids would probably turn their noses up at it, but we drank it preferably cold, but warm if need be! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
We used to have school milk too. It was either frozen solid in winter or going off in summer.
I remember one day when the milk was dished out by the Monitor, I really didn't want to drink it so I put it in my desk and didn't return the bottle when everyone else did. The bottle stayed there for days, becoming smellier.
One teacher came into the classroom, and wrinkled her nose. "What is that awful smell?" she asked. All the girls knew it was my milk bottle but they didn't split on me. After the lesson, I sneaked the bottle into the toilet and tried to pour it down the pan. Of course, it was just a congealed blob and it wouldn't budge. All I could do was put it in the milkcrate and disappear rapidly.
I've hated milk ever since.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I too was milk monitor, dishing out straws and the baby milk bottles. I felt very important. We had Jammy Dodgers not digestives
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I was never a Milk Monitor (wonder why?) However, I was Ink Monitor in charge of a big earthenware bottle of ink and I had to top up the ink wells in the desks. Those were the days, writing with proper pens with nibs and real ink.

I feel ancient now. Big Grin
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(21-02-2023, 09:04 PM)Veggie Wrote: I was never a Milk Monitor (wonder why?) However, I was Ink Monitor in charge of a big earthenware bottle of ink and I had to top up the ink wells in the desks. Those were the days, writing with proper pens with nibs and real ink.

I feel ancient now. Big Grin

You must have gone to a posh school to have proper pens. At ours the nibs were often bent or splayed apart so the writing was either spidery with the paper all scratched or thick with lots of blots. Blotting paper was well used.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had my own pen - it was maroon painted wood. Nobody touched my nibs!!
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
And how much mess did we get into with ink and inkwells on the corner of our desks? My thumb and forefinger were constantly stained blue. Can you imagine the current generation with access to proper ink!
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie, Vinny