2023 - What I did today
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Watered greenhouses and put up a wooden rail between two posts (previously 2 corners`of an old wooden barn that fell down in a gale) for a wisteria to hopefully climb along. Weighed up the sunflowers but some are still growing. Spread the onion crop on staging to dry. Put some brackets round the house soil pipe to firmly clamp it to the wall. I had tied it to the gutter but it moved about a lot in strong winds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Took a leaf out of Veggie's book and trimmed the old leaves off the courgettes, they're looking rather nude now. Trimmed leaves off tomatoes in the ghs
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hacked my way around the back of an apple tree that's alongside the neighbours fence, cutting back his overhanging camellia and my brambles. Frightened myself silly when I saw movement in the undergrowth, a person heading towards me - then I remembered that I'd put a mirror against the fence, years ago, to fool myself into thinking it was a window. It had been lost in the undergrowth!
Dug up some yellow flag iris and some ornamental grasses for somebody to plant around a community pond. They're being collected tomorrow. Glad to get rid of them, to be honest. They all spread so easily.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Finished putting rocks around the new bed. Started digging the ditch around it. Harvest lots of things.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Emptied all my out of date Winter radish and Turnip seeds into separate jars and set out to find a suitable clear spot to scatter them. Needless to say, I couldn't find anywhere to I had to do a bit of weeding and hoeing to create somewhere.
My conscience is clearer when I've given these old seeds a chance. I don't really care whether they grow or not because radish and turnips are not my favourite vegetables.
Cut more dead leaves off the courgettes - they're not going to last much longer which means I need a plan to sort out the old pond afterwards.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I made some blackberry jam, heaven knows why as I've a shelf full from previous years. It was too hot to garden.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
(05-09-2023, 09:13 AM)JJB Wrote: I made some blackberry jam, heaven knows why as I've a shelf full from previous years. It was too hot to garden.
Take photos of it.    Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(05-09-2023, 10:07 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(05-09-2023, 09:13 AM)JJB Wrote: I made some blackberry jam, heaven knows why as I've a shelf full from previous years. It was too hot to garden.
If you pick the blackberries out and start again you can enter it in the Show. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(05-09-2023, 10:07 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
I forgot!  Tongue  should've taken pictures of the state of the kitchen after straining the pulp, it looked like the site of the chainsaw massacre.

Next time I pick blackberries I will, I promise
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Back to de-brambling behind the apple tree. Even though it was shady, it was very hot in there. Too hot to wear any protective clothing so my arms are a little shredded.
Removed a lot of leaves on the cucumbers and tomatoes in GH1. Horrible whitefly are wreaking havoc on the cucumbers. It was like a snowstorm in there. Remind me next year to plant some tagetes amongst the cukes.