DIY candles
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The man who gave me the bag of used wax sent me this :-

" I used to make candles. I can give you a tip - when you buy wicks, don't buy the thick ones. They burn well but make lots of smoke. We had to have our lounge redecorated as a result."

Worth knowing Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
I agree with that. And don't be tempted to go for the wooden wicks either. They make a crackling noise that might sound cozy and as if you're in front of an open fire to start with, but it soon becomes REALLY annoying and that's all you can hear!
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its a while since I started this thread but since then I've acquired a box of wicks and, today, the final piece of the kit (all Free, of course) - a wax melter. Its sold as a chocolate melter but I'm sure it'll do the job. It came with a Scentsy consultant's insulated bag and several flexible moulds for making butterflies, Christmas trees and Santas. Scentsy seems to be like Tupperware - host a party and get a discount on your order. Can't have been much of a success since the donor gave away her consultant's bag! Maybe I should start my own business - call it "Pongsy" or summat.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Couldn't resist! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, MartinH, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Brilliant, Vinny. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(12-08-2023, 09:21 PM)Veggie Wrote: Its a while since I started this thread but since then I've acquired a box of wicks and, today, the final piece of the kit (all Free, of course) - a wax melter. Its sold as a chocolate melter but I'm sure it'll do the job. It came with a Scentsy consultant's insulated bag and several flexible moulds for making butterflies, Christmas trees and Santas.  Scentsy seems to be like Tupperware - host a party and get a discount on your order. Can't have been much of a success since the donor gave away her consultant's bag! Maybe I should start my own business - call it "Pongsy" or summat.
Finally, I've made some candles! I heated the wax on the woodstove and poured it into some pots and glasses that came with all the leftover wax I've been acquiring.
I gave away the flexible moulds as I didn't want to make wax melts only candles with  (free) wicks. 
I used an assortment of leftover coloured wax, red, green, blue, white and all the new candles are mauve.
  • Broadway

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Did you put anything in to scent them?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
No, I didn't because some of the wax came from scented candles anyway. I have a load of scented wax melts so I can always bung a couple of those in with the candle if I need some pong.
  • JJB

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(02-12-2023, 08:26 PM)Veggie Wrote: ...I used an assortment of leftover coloured wax, red, green, blue, white and all the new candles are mauve.
Very occult!  Tongue
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Oddly, the porridge I made with blueberries this morning was the same colour as the candles. Big Grin
  • Moth