DIY candles
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know there's been some chatter about making candles on the Reduce etc thread but I thought I'd start a dedicated thread to gather knowledge from you crafty lot. 
I've collected a bag of part used candles in jars and loose wax and want to melt it down and remake it into candles again. I need to source some wicks so wondered whether you had any recommendations. 
Vinny was talking about making candles - did you and how did it go?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Moth, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
Well done for reusing stuff.
Never tried making candles - and don’t have any odd bits of left over candles. (Not one of the candlelit dinner party people like you, Veggie!)
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Nearly all the candles I have are freebies, FEW. Picked up 4 Yankee candles jars (weird name) and some smaller glasses as well as a carrier bag of part used candle wax, today,. People are always giving it away - they don't want to throw it but don't know what to do with it!. I'm here to help Big Grin
When we had bees, my OH used to make beeswax candles but I was the observer, not the doer. Not sure where to start now!
If the cost of electricity climbs much more we may all be candle-lit dinner people. Wink
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
Yankee candles are really expensive aren’t they - so well done on picking those up.
I was only being flippant about the candlelit dinners. Imagined you trotting around in your finery with a platter of Ferrero Rochas!
I think you’re right - once the cuts come I shall be eating by candlelight or using a battery operated head torch.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
There was a time when I might have been dressing for dinner - now I can't even see the top of the dining table for junk. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Vinny

SarrissUK Offline
I've made candles in the past, with either part burned candles or leftovers, or even wax pebbles bought on fleabay.

The wicks come in different lengths, and you can buy them in bunches, again on fleabay.

If you want to make them smell nice, pour in essential oils into the wax as you melt it.
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
(27-10-2022, 09:31 PM)Veggie Wrote: There was a time when I might have been dressing for dinner - now I can't even see the top of the dining table for junk. Wink
Love it!
your table sounds just like mine.
we shove everything up one end at meal times, leaving just enough room for the two of us to eat.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I bought some wicks and made a few out of the remnants of old smelly candles. Got bored with it after a while and can't even remember where the wicks are now! Blush

For some reason the heading reminded me of this two ronnies sketch! Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV1IP4N9ajg
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
^^^ That's a classic!

Got any wicks?
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
You can make wicks from tightly rolled up toilet paper -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLPbNgl0GBE

or you can use cotton string, which is much cheaper to buy than "proper" wicks, but burns faster as it is twisted rather than braided.

or you can Martha Stewart it -

https://www.marthastewart.com/8139990/diy-candle-wick
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 3 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny