Eat only UK Plants/ Rationing
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
You can have my milk as I don't drink it. Hoping to trade it for something I want - like yogurt. Don't drink tea (or coffee) either. so I won't miss that.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I support British farmers by buying British beef,lamb etc. Tongue
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

I've been gathering my month's rations together. A few additions to be purchased tomorrow - a big tub of yogurt each week, 8 eggs for the month, a pound of porridge oats and a tin of sardines. There'll be 2 cartons of milk a week but I doubt that I'll drink that much. The small chunk of cheese in front of the bigger block is 4 ounces - a week's supply. I've marked the butter into 4 sections, one for each week. Also have some cooking oil - 8 oz a week and 8oz of preserves a month - probably homemade jam.
I've "spent" 8 of my 16 points for the month so I can still buy more pulses or a packet of biscuits if I get desperate!
It doesn't look much but there's unrationed bread, potatoes, UK grown fruit & veg, flour and fish, plus, of course, whatever I can find in the shop at the end of the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
A little clarification - as I was confused too. The weekly rations are, as it says on the tin, available each week.
The Points system is for a calendar month, not 4 weeks as I thought. So I've had a rethink and I'm only spending 4 Points this week (until the 31st July). On 1st August I'll have all 16 Points to spend. Party, anyone? It'll be lentils and oats on the menu this week.

Vinny Offline
(23-07-2023, 09:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: A little clarification - as I was confused too. The weekly rations are, as it says on the tin, available each week.
The Points system is for a calendar month, not 4 weeks as I thought. So I've had a rethink and I'm only spending 4 Points this week (until the 31st July). On 1st August I'll have all 16 Points to spend. Party, anyone? It'll be lentils and oats on the menu this week.
Clear as mud veggie! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I can’t even begin to try to work out what you’re up to now Big Grin . My head’s ready to explode with other stuff . But I’d spend my 16 points on rice, herring, split peas, oats & baked beans.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Firstly I'd cheat and have my 16 points for July even though its only two weeks and stock up on the allotted longlife milk, butter and eggs plus the rest allowed. That would give me an idea of how things were working out so as to plan my next month. If I was on my own it would be good to join you in the experiment.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(23-07-2023, 09:15 PM)Veggie Wrote: A little clarification - as I was confused too. The weekly rations are, as it says on the tin, available each week.
Having rethunk it overnight I'm going  back to Plan A (a month = 4 weeks). It ties in with my Garden bed Plan better! After all, why have 2 confusing systems when you can one. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(24-07-2023, 09:47 AM)JJB Wrote: Firstly I'd cheat and have my 16 points for July even though its only two weeks and stock up on the allotted longlife milk, butter and eggs plus the rest allowed. That would give me an idea of how things were working out so as to plan my next month.  If I was on my own it would be good to join you in the experiment.
When war broke out, most households would have had some food in their cupboards anyway but they wouldn't have had the luxury of a freezer full of grub, as we do. I've read that people were encouraged to buy a week's worth of food, before rationing started as that meant food was being stored safely, instead of in bulk in warehouses where it could be bombed.
Its a bit like lockdown during Covid, I had enough food in the house that I didn't need to rush to the shops panic buying. I could do the same now if I wanted to - so, instead of "buying" rations from the shop, I'm "buying" it from my storecupboard as a way of using it up!

I'm surprised you haven't said that P lived through rationing once and doesn't want to do it again.  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(24-07-2023, 10:43 AM)Veggie Wrote:
Having rethunk it overnight I'm going  back to Plan A (a month = 4 weeks). It ties in with my Garden bed Plan better! After all, why have 2 confusing systems when you can one. Big Grin
You need a SPREADSHEET! Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie