Eat only UK Plants/ Rationing
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Just seen this Challenge aimed at supporting British Farmers - to eat only British Grown Plants for a year. https://stockfreefarming.org/eat-only-br...for-a-year.
Its a Vegan site so is more restrictive than it would be for omnivores.
I'm tempted to try it but it would mean that I'd have to be more selective with the free food I'm given. No more bananas for example.Big Grin

There's a list of UK Suppliers at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P5Cm...H_MO4/edit 
and, if you're on FB, lots of ideas for making substitutes for imported foods and recipes. 
I'm going to go halfway - not BUY any fruit or veg that's not UK grown but accept any free items that aren't to save them from the dump.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I'm old enough to remember Maggies 'BUY BRITISH regime'. Even though I didn't like the Iron Maiden, I was with her on this one! Cool

Problem is, I might struggle to find a British grown banana or orange? Rolleyes

I would go even further and try and support local growers and eat seasonally! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We have always tried to this, although French, obviously Smile Thank goodness for the outre-mer départements so we CAN by French bananas! I had a minor rant shopping today, finding Kenyan haricots amongst the French ones.
Our rule is local, then French or Spanish as Catalunya & Aragon are closer than much of France!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(12-08-2022, 08:47 PM)Vinny Wrote: I'm old enough to remember Maggies 'BUY BRITISH regime'. Even though I didn't like the Iron Maiden, I was with her on this one! Cool

Problem is, I might struggle to find a British grown banana or orange? Rolleyes

I would go even further and try and support local growers and eat seasonally! Big Grin
Bananas, oranges and lemons, Pineapple, Coffee, Chocolate, most nuts and peanuts, rice, there are a lot of things we eat and would be hard to give up.
I might have to dig out my Wartime Rationing books and check out the mock banana recipes.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Bren Offline
I do try to eat local and seasonal but do like Pineapple and bananas so its a matter of doing what I can. Its easier in summer having my own fruit but by March I'm out of dried and frozen is getting low.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Too restrictive for me, can't give up nuts, olive oil, spices, dark chocolate, tea... If you don't have the benefit of being able to grow your own, I think it'll end up being very boring (in winter) buying from the supermarket or quite expensive buying from those small suppliers.
[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I couldn’t give up rice. I’m also with TMTT, couldn’t give up spice’s.
It’s really surprising how many’s grown ingredients we take for granted that we couldn’t produce ourselves.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(13-08-2022, 01:32 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Too restrictive for me, can't give up nuts, olive oil, spices, dark chocolate, tea... If you don't have the benefit of being able to grow your own, I think it'll end up being very boring (in winter) buying from the supermarket or quite expensive buying from those small suppliers.

(13-08-2022, 03:57 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I couldn’t give up rice. I’m also with TMTT, couldn’t give up spice’s.
It’s really surprising how many’s grown ingredients we take for granted that we couldn’t produce ourselves.

Which spices couldn't you both give up?

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(13-08-2022, 04:46 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 01:32 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Too restrictive for me, can't give up nuts, olive oil, spices, dark chocolate, tea... If you don't have the benefit of being able to grow your own, I think it'll end up being very boring (in winter) buying from the supermarket or quite expensive buying from those small suppliers.

(13-08-2022, 03:57 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I couldn’t give up rice. I’m also with TMTT, couldn’t give up spice’s.

Which spices couldn't you both give up?
Curry powder!
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Curry powder is a mix of spices. Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli