2022/23 Chutney and Jam Central
Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I made 4 jars of blackberry and crab apple jam, and 2 jars of crab apple jelly. The jelly was made with the strained juice from the cooked crab apples, then the apple pulp joined the blackberries to make the jam
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Here's a question team. When you make jam out of blackberries, do you sieve out the pips/seeds. P doesn't mind raspberry seeds but blackberry ones don't soften and are numerous. In the past I've boiled 'em up and pressed them through a sieve, which is darned time consuming. I'm considering getting a rotary mouli mill, any experience of these out there?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I sieve out the seeds - can't bear them in blackbery jam. I rub them through a sieve too. It is time consuming, but it's only once a year. I sieve the seeds out of raspberries too. For me, the most annoying bit is getting the metal sieve clean again. No matter how careful I am, bits of fruit always seem to get jammed between the mesh and the metal rim. Glutton for punishment, the last couple of years I've sieved the skins out of damson (well bullace) jam too.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a plastic sieve - the mesh is flexible so you can turn it, almost inside out. Something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chef-Aid-Nylon-...r=8-5&th=1
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Moth

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've got one of those too Veggie amongst probably half a dozen others of varying sizes. My favourite for fruit pulp is a very wide mouthed slightly bigger mesh than I would use for flour. It works a treat but is laborious. Having looked on the reviews of an Amazon mouli, one said she bought it especially removing blackberry & raspberry pips but it failed to do the job. Time to rethink. If I see one in a charity shop I'll give it a go but otherwise stick with the sieve.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Moth, Veggie

Bren Offline
I’ve got a sieve attachment for my Kenwood chef it’s has 2 double sided screens and very handy for raspberries, blackberries and stoning damsons.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(27-08-2023, 04:55 PM)Veggie Wrote: I have a plastic sieve - the mesh is flexible so you can turn it, almost inside out. Something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chef-Aid-Nylon-...r=8-5&th=1
Just remembered, I also have a wooden, mushroom shaped fruit masher that I use for pushing fruit through the sieve.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Moth

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(27-08-2023, 07:04 PM)Bren Wrote: I’ve got a sieve attachment for my Kenwood chef it’s has 2 double sided screens and  very handy for raspberries, blackberries and stoning damsons.

I've got the Chef now I'm off to research a sieve attachment. Thanks Bren.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Farendwoman, Moth

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(27-08-2023, 08:54 PM)JJB Wrote:
(27-08-2023, 07:04 PM)Bren Wrote: I’ve got a sieve attachment for my Kenwood chef it’s has 2 double sided screens and  very handy for raspberries, blackberries and stoning damsons.

I've got the Chef now I'm off to research a sieve attachment. Thanks Bren.

At £80 I think I'll give it a miss, presupposing it would fit my model.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Moth, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(27-08-2023, 04:46 PM)Moth Wrote: I sieve out the seeds - can't bear them in blackbery jam. I rub them through a sieve too. It is time consuming, but it's only once a year. I sieve the seeds out of raspberries too. For me, the most annoying bit is getting the metal sieve clean again. No matter how careful I am, bits of fruit always seem to get jammed between the mesh and the metal rim. Glutton for punishment, the last couple of years I've sieved the skins out of damson (well bullace) jam too.
Impressed!
glutton for punishment, aren’t you!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Moth, Veggie