2022/23 Chutney and Jam Central
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What have you made in 2022? 
Please tell us here [Image: biggrin.png]

Rhubarb, Onion and Mint chutney/relish/jam???
No real recipe - I made it up. Smile
Two sticks of rhubarb, about 6 bolting onions including green shoots, and 8 large apple mint leaves - all of these were lurking in the kitchen so I thought I'd try cooking them together with some vintage demerara sugar and some red wine vinegar that must be at least 10 years old.
Made one 12oz jar - tastes Ok too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Three and a half jars of strawberry jam - all ingredients were free. Big Grin
4 punnets of strawberries (supermarket past their sell by date), a kilo of castor sugar (from a neighbour's clearout when she moved) and a sachet of pectin that should have been used by Dec 2021.
If it doesn't set I have three and half jars of strawberry syrup. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Nothing wrong with strawberry syrup, where's the ice-cream?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(30-06-2022, 11:58 PM)Veggie Wrote: Three and a half jars of strawberry jam - all ingredients were free. Big Grin
4 punnets of strawberries (supermarket past their sell by date), a kilo of castor sugar (from a neighbour's clearout when she moved) and a sachet of pectin that should have been used by Dec 2021.
If it doesn't set I have three and half jars of strawberry syrup. Big Grin
I have six jars of strawberry jam and a container of strawberry compote in freezer Cool . All produce was from allotment (Strawberry glut this year)  and sugar was 'free' because Helen used a lot of sugar whereas I don't use it. Consequently there was about 3 kilo of sugar left in cupboard some of which was quite solid but perfectly usable! Rolleyes
One little tip I have evolved with strawberry jam is to keep a handful of small strawberies back and add them quite late to the jam making process this gives me whole strawberries a plenty in the finished jam! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I love strawberries and also like strawberry jam, my problem is we never eat jam. Not having afternoon tea, nor much in the way of desserts, any jam I make stays on the shelf til it's solid or mouldy. I have some very suspect raspberry and redcurrant from years back that I'm afraid has a life of it own. Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I'm the same with jam, love making it but rarely eat it. It goes in butties when we take a packed lunch, and MrPP is partial to both bakewell tart and steamed jam puds, but that's about it.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 1 user Likes PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I do like jam on my toast or stirred into a plain yoghurt..........which is probably how this lots of "not well set jam" will end up. I blame the old pectin - not the cook. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I like jam in my porridge, muesli and rice pudding. Smile Best on toast though. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
PP reminded me that P is partial to jam pud, jam roly poly but the temptation to join him eating it is almost too great so he gets stewed fruit dollop, a hunk of sponge and custard, which I can quite happily avoid and he enjoys.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Bren Offline
(01-07-2022, 03:11 PM)Vinny Wrote: I like jam in my porridge, muesli and rice pudding. Smile Best on toast though. Cool

I eat my jam in the same, as well as on fresh baked scones no cream just spread with butter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny