2022/23 Chutney and Jam Central
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Made 6 jars plum jam and 5 of strawberry and black currant. No problem either setting, about 45 minutes in microwave for each batch. I probably won't need to make any more now for a couple of years as still have some from last year as well as several jars of chutney.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Three and a bit jars of Courgette Chutney.
I intended to make it yesterday but the sultanas I found in the back of the cupboard had a use by date of 1999.Big Grin I ate some and they were OK but some fruit had crystallised and didn't look very appetising so I was forced to spend 99p on some Morries Savers sultanas. Apart from that I found enough similar ingredients in the cupboard.
I had courgettes (obviously), onions, salt and coriander seeds.
Recipe needed Muscovado sugar - used Demerara
Red wine vinegar - used Distilled malt vinegar
Raisins = sultanas (cheaper)
Root ginger = ginger puree
Garlic cloves = garlic & ginger puree
Brown mustard seeds = mustard sauce
Dried chillies - chilli flakes.
The ginger, garlic, mustard and chilli flakes were in the Hello Fresh/Gousto odds and ends that I've picked up Free.
I may make it again with dates instead of sultanas but I need to find some more vinegar first - I have rice vinegar or ordinary malt.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Made 6 jars of Raspberry & Strawberry jam using the fruit from last night's £5 pantry.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, Small chilli

Farendwoman Offline
Picked a load of blackberries today .. so first thing tomorrow it’s blackberry jam making.
Best and biggest blackberries round here for years.
Also need to harvest the damsons some time soon , oh how I hate the destoning business.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(14-08-2023, 11:16 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Made 6 jars plum jam and 5 of strawberry and black currant. No problem either setting, about 45 minutes in microwave for each batch. I probably won't need to make any more now for a couple of years as still have some from last year as well as several jars of chutney.
Can you give me details of how you do it in the microwave, please Mark???

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-08-2023, 08:43 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Picked a load of blackberries today .. so first thing tomorrow it’s blackberry jam making.
Best and biggest blackberries round here for years.
Also need to harvest the damsons some time soon , oh how I hate the destoning business.
Can you cook the damson with the stones in and remove the stones before adding the sugar? The plum jam I'm eating now still has stones in it!

EDIT https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/damson-jam
Damsons are clingstone fruit, with flesh that clings to the stone making them hard to remove. If you don't like the idea of leaving stones in, you can cut down the length of the damson and twist, then use a knife to lever the stone out. Another option is to sieve the jam after cooking, although this will give a different texture. Alternatively just leave them in and warn your guests!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB

Farendwoman Offline
Yep !
I cook them first without sugar - then squish around to find the stones.
Takes ages … and I always get an itchy nose when my hands are dripping in damson gunk!
Worth it in the end!
Can’t risk leaving the stones in - had too many expensive dentist bills from doing that!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(22-08-2023, 08:45 PM)Farendwoman Wrote:
(14-08-2023, 11:16 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Made 6 jars plum jam and 5 of strawberry and black currant. No problem either setting, about 45 minutes in microwave for each batch. I probably won't need to make any more now for a couple of years as still have some from last year as well as several jars of chutney.
Can you give me details of how you do it in the microwave, please Mark???

All I do is cook the fruit as you do but in the microwave with no added water. Then boil for about 15 minutes in microwave without sugar as I think it takes a bit less energy without the sugar to dispel some water. Then I stir in sugar and heat up for about another 20 minutes and check with thermometer. You just need a big enough glass bowl so it doesn't boil over. We've accumulated a variety of sizes over the years. I don't always use a thermometer just looking at the stirring spoon to judge when it might be ready enough. The thermometer I do use is a Heston B. Salter one that goes from -40 to +200C. Argos and Dunhelm sell different versions of it for £20 but it is quick to use and measured to 0.1C.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
Thanks, Mark
I think I’ll give it a go with next lot of blackberries.
Cheers!

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I don't know if it would work with damsons, but I use a cherry stoner on the smaller wild bullace to destone them all before cooking them. The stones go in an organza bag to boil up with the fruit.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie