How big is your patch?
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-01-2022, 11:57 PM)Spec Wrote:
(23-01-2022, 04:15 PM)JJB Wrote: No Sunday dinner here, never has been, even though P was brought up with proper Sunday lunch dead on time at 1.00pm.
When we were both employed Saturday and Sunday were 'working' days, usually in the garden. If we had stopped to eat midday, we'd never have got anything done, so weekend meals  were usually rapid ones.  Sunday was historically a getting down and dirty day so we would need baths to clean up and get ready for Monday work,  so once again easy quick meals. Never bothered too much with roasts, except at Christmas.

Scarlet dateline
[/quote' Wrote:
Your flower boxes sound interesting? I haven't measured my flower beds but I have 3 that are 10ft deep - 2 that are full of ground elder. I tried cover them and planting on top. That didn't work so now I try to dig it out every year. It does mean that I only really have a "summer" garden.
Scarlet when I originally changed my flower beds, I had made them narrower and into raised beds I removed any perennials I wanted to keep then covered the ground, which contained ground elder, docks and bindweed along with several perennial plants, with several layers of cardboard I then covered that with clean soil, seaweed, compost and course sand I did get a show if the bindweed which I removed by hand and it has now been clear for 2 years

I did cover over when I got here 21 years ago this week!  I used weed suppressant membrane. I covered over with wood chips while I tackled other areas of the garden. Maybe 5 years later I went back. The ground elder roots were so thick- a total mass.I believe this was my undoing as it's just too much to get rid of completely. It took forever to try to dig out as I have some perennials in there that I didn't want to lose. It just crept under the path ( suppressant and gravel) and now is in the lawn as well. If I'd know how invasive it was I would have used weed killer on it. I would never cover it again. It has spoilt my gardening enjoyment. I would love to plant in roses etc but the constant digging up disturbs anything I put in it. 
Personally I would take a peek at what you have got under there.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(24-01-2022, 10:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: I grow more in a couple of GHs than I do in the rest of the garden. Sometimes, you can have more than you can cope with!!
Which is why most of my time I'm up the greenhouse! 
The "cope" bit is definitely the key point.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Spec Offline
[/quote]Personally I would take a peek at what you have got under there.
[/quote]
There's now ten inches of soil on top of the layers of cardboard, so not easy to have a peekSmile
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, MartinH, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Personally I would take a peek at what you have got under there.
[/quote]
There's now ten inches of soil on top of the layers of cardboard, so not easy to have a peekSmile
[/quote]

Big Grin good reason! Unfortunately my borders are a bit big to put a raised bed on top. The ground elder very much had its feet under the table Wink by the time I got here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
Scarlet, you do know that you can harvest ground elder for eating? so I would recommend that you start treating it as a highly desirable food plant, most times I have a plant that I really want to keep, I struggle with itRolleyes Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Tongue 
(25-01-2022, 07:38 PM)Spec Wrote: Scarlet, you do know that you can harvest ground elder for eating? so I would recommend that you start treating it as a highly desirable food plant, most times I have a plant that I really want to keep, I struggle with itRolleyes Big Grin
Have you tried it?? I have have Big Grin omg! It really is horrible stuff.
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm sorry, but I just have to say it..................I think of Spec every time I read the Title of this thread...............

"How big is your BALD patch" Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Norfolk Grey

Spec Offline
Yes Scarlet tried it when I was a boy, used to eat a lot of wild stuff when out running all over the fields and hills, spent hours out playing and you knew that if you went in the house for something to eat you run the risk of being kept inRolleyes usually to help sisters to do housework Angry
Dd
Veggie I will have you know that I have no bald patch, and that I have a head of hair that some people half my age would thankful to have, though admittedly there won't be a lot of people in their twenties who are baldBig Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Scarlet (whilst you have more than you would like) ground elder flowers last really well as cut flowers/ filler.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-02-2022, 05:06 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: Scarlet (whilst you have more than you would like) ground elder flowers last really well as cut flowers/ filler.
I can't let it take any more hold than it already has. It's not worth it. The roots form a mat underground.

I can cut plenty from my Neighbours Sad
  • Norfolk Grey