How big is your patch?
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So, I know allotments are based on "poles" though haven't a clue how many Big Grin

I have a large garden but I always go back to my greenhouse area. I don't really care what it
looks like. It does get in a bit of a mess at times but it's where I enjoy myself most.

Now I'm busy planning seed sowing and I know what I want to grow won't fit Big Grin so I think I will dig up the patch that I let go a few years ago. I think flower growing is easier than digging up spuds? I maybe wrong but I do have more time to myself now the boys are mostly away from home.

So the area by the side of my greenhouse is 30ft x x30ft?  The area by the second greenhouse is 16ftx30. Though I do have the garden itself which has some serious big borders.... 

So, how big is your garden, veg plot or whatever you tend?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
According to the Allotment Society
"An allotment is traditionally measured in rods (perches or poles), an old measurement dating back to Anglo-Saxon times. 10 poles is the accepted size of an allotment, the equivalent of 250 square metres or about the size of a doubles tennis court".

If you still work in old money, the SCAA say -".An allotment plot is normally 10 poles. 10 poles are 302.5 square yards.
One pole is an area 5.5 yards’ x 5.5 yards. This gives 160 poles to one acre, which is 16 plots of ten poles each to the acre"

Any the wiser? Thought not. Big Grin.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(23-01-2022, 06:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: According to the  Allotment Society
"An allotment is traditionally measured in rods (perches or poles), an old measurement dating back to Anglo-Saxon times. 10 poles is the accepted size of an allotment, the equivalent of 250 square metres or about the size of a doubles tennis court".

If you still work in old money, the SCAA say -".An allotment plot is normally 10 poles. 10 poles are 302.5 square yards.
One pole is an area 5.5 yards’ x 5.5 yards. This gives 160 poles to one acre, which is 16 plots of ten poles each to the acre"

The 10 rod,perches or poles was what the government in WW2 deemed to be a big enough space to feed a family with 2.4 children if intensively managed! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
My back garden is about 30 metres long and 12 metres wide. In that space there's a greenhouse, three sheds (two of which will disappear), two chicken sheds (one of which will disappear) and a summer house. The pond will go too.

We want the space for a bigger summer house that is facing the right direction for enjoying the sun in an early evening. We will convert the patio and the raised decking to a more social space with a pizza over that is covered.
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Our 'building' plot including the house area is said to be about a third of an acre although I've never measured it. The back garden is about 100m long and I think about 15m? wide (I'm going to have to measure the width tomorrow) so long and narrow.
There's 2 big veg plots each about 25ft x 16ft,  a little one 7 x 20ft and 2 fruit cages, one 25 x 7ft and one ?? 8 x 15 ish, two 8 x 6ft greenhouses.
The lawns and flower borders are a bit haphazard.

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(23-01-2022, 07:38 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(23-01-2022, 06:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: According to the  Allotment Society

The 10 rod,perches or poles was what the government in WW2 deemed to be a big enough space to feed a family with 2.4 children if intensively managed! Big Grin
I wonder how much food 0.4 of a child needed? Huh
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
We currently rent about 3/4 acre that includes the house, garage, sheds, kennels, parking area, orchard, veg patch, garden. Veg patch is 19m x 19m.

New plot is also 3/4 acre also includes houses, garage, sheds, parking area, wooded area, veg patch and garden. Only know the size of house & garage at moment.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
The back garden is around 125 square metres, but there's a greenhouse, shed, steps, and rockery/retaining wall taking up some of that space (as well as some extra paving slabs that will probably be going). I'm not sure if I'll keep the shed as I have a big garage that isn't easily accessible by car (even if I had one!) so there's no shortage of storage space - I suspect the shed is only there because my vendor and her husband got to the point where they couldn't carry the lawnmower up the garden anymore. There's also a bit of extra patio space by the house where I could squeeze some containers, as well as some space near the garage/carport where anything happy in partial shade could be in containers (there are quite a few containers of bulbs, a rose, ivy, and other things there already).

The front garden is around another 30 square metres but is north facing and by the road. I still reckon I can put it to good use Smile

Edit: Google says that my total of 155 square metres is around a 30th of an acre. One day, I hope to get up to around a third of an acre, so I have a bit of a way to go. My Grandma's garden is around a third of an acre (rural NE Lincolnshire where the land is cheap!) and I think that would be a great size for a food forest/chicken run/wildlife-friendly garden.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
House and garden plot is about half an acre but I only intensively garden the GHs - I play in the rest.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Small chilli

Roitelet Offline
2,500 square meters which includes 90 square meters of veg plot, potager as it is known here. The French like big gardens!!!
[-] The following 5 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie