Are Sunday dinners a thing of the past?
Spec Offline
When younger, after church it was home for a plate of sandwiches and a cup of tea then out to Sunday school and back home about four, and prepared for Sunday dinner, now teatime and always sitting at the table, when my dad died things altered, it was then a slice of toast for breakfast no church, Sunday school for a time, then a meal about four thirty, when I started working I was doing shift work which at times included Sunday work so regular meal times disappeared, started winching and invited for Sunday dinner at OHs it was always three thirty and usually a three course dinner with soup a meat dish then a sweet again usually custerd ans fruit pie, once my feet were under the table (which means being treated as part of the family) I always finished with a piece with butter and jam, MiL was shocked at how much I eat, it went from "would you like a bit more to eat" to "I would rather keep him a week than a fortnight" nowadays we are back to a sit down meal abou 5.45 most Sundays but not always a roast
[-] The following 6 users Like Spec's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My contribution to Sunday Dinner (as a kid) was to go shopping on Saturday morning for the meat and vegetables. The butchers and greengrocers were owned by the same family and next door to each other, and, even more fortuitously, next to the Plaza cinema where we'd go for Saturday Morning Matinee. When the films finished, I'd go to the shop, clutching a list and a shopping bag that seemed as big as I was (I was always small Wink).
Usually, the meat was "Half Shoulder of lamb, blade end". Sometimes minced beef, some bones for the dog (for the stewpot first) and a waxed carton of dripping with the jelly at the bottom. Chicken was a luxury and only for Easter. Hard to believe how things have changed.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Posh dinner then was roast chicken followed by tinned peaches and evaporated milk or tinned sterilised cream. Cheapish meal these days. As you say how things have changed. Still rather fond of roast chicken and peaches after.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man

Farendwoman Offline
(23-01-2022, 10:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: As a kid, it was always Sunday Lunch at 1 before we were packed off to Sunday School. When we came out of chapel we walked about half a mile to buy a brick of icecream ( vanilla, strawberry and three colours if they had it in stock) and walked home with it wrapped in white paper (we didn't have a fridge or freezer so most things were bought when needed). Aunt, Uncle and cousins would arrive for High Tea (jelly, trifle, that sort of stuff) and we'd play Newmarket, using the same bowl of pennies that came out every Sunday.
Once married & working, the weekends were the only days to catch up on housework, gardening and days out, so Sunday dinner was an evening meal with enough leftover to last a couple of days without needing much cooking.
Sunday is just another day now and I prefer to eat in the evening. Tonight was tuna and sweetcorn pasta - not exactly traditional Sunday fodder.
Gosh - your childhood sounds remarkably similar to mine . I haven’t played Newmarket for years, (used to love it). nowadays we play Uno. Our ice cream was on a stick called Canada Bars, and we ate them on the walk home.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
Not had a Sunday sit down since the kids left home. When I was growing up, all dinners were at the table and eaten in silence.

We also had Sunday tea which always included shrimps and winkles
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
After just finishing the cauliflower cheese for lunch I would say that roast dinners were a way of stretching the pennies??

So on Sunday I did a huge roast. Son wanted to take a dinner home with him. It was a large chicken - but they aren't as large as I remember they were when I was a kid??
Anyway - I did a huge pan of roast potatoes and parsnips.
The cook time is roughly the same whatever you put in there.
It did dinner yesterday and today. I've only needed to warm it up? Son took his extras home. You don't need a lot of meat with plenty of vegetables.
It has saved lots of time, less cooking and the cost spread over a few days really does make the effort of preparing all the veg worth while?
I think they knew what they were doing 50years ago Wink
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Broadway Offline
If we have a roast chicken it lasts us for 3 meals each so fairly resonable me thinks?
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(25-01-2022, 02:42 PM)Broadway Wrote: If we have a roast chicken it lasts us for 3 meals each so fairly resonable me thinks?

And if you're so inclined, soup/stock from the bones Smile  makes bagging the bones for the bin easier too.  Chicken has my vote every time.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Broadway Offline
(25-01-2022, 03:11 PM)JJB Wrote:
(25-01-2022, 02:42 PM)Broadway Wrote: If we have a roast chicken it lasts us for 3 meals each so fairly resonable me thinks?

And if you're so inclined, soup/stock from the bones Smile  makes bagging the bones for the bin easier too.  Chicken has my vote every time.
I should do that again, I used to save it the old bits in the freezer then bung them all in the slow cooker to make stock.
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, SarrissUK, Scarlet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We always try to have a nice meal on Sunday, always in the evening, with a starter, main, cheese and pudding. Although I only cook a roast perhaps half a dozen times a year, Sunday is often the only day of the week when we eat meat. This week was stuffed lamb's hearts, the week before a ragu and home made pasta.
I do love the way a big roast will shape the meals we eat for much of the rest of the week, though. Stir fries, risottos and MrPP is a huge pie fan so that's often the way it goes!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet