Are Sunday dinners a thing of the past?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I love my Sunday dinner whether it be a roast or not, but alays a little bit special. Cool I was brought up in an age that when you walked up the street on a Sunday lunchtime you could see steam bellowing from kitchen windows and all the aroma's  from the different meats people were having. Sunday dinner was always between 12 and 2.00 so was what people nowadays call 'lunch'. Rolleyes

None of my offspring bother with Sunday dinners as a rule and even if they do, they go out to lunch. The smells in the street are gone and it appears Sunday dinners are just a memory.
Not in this house though! As long as I am able I will always make a Sunday dinner (even if most of the time it is for me only).

LONG LIVE THE SUNDAY DINNER! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, MartinH, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I can't be bothered to cook at "lunch" so a Sunday dinner would be in the evening. I don't want to stop what I'm doing to make a full roast in the Summer and I'm not keen when it's hot out but is perfect when it's cold out.

Son is home for the weekend - so we will be having dinner at 6 before he travels back. No fancy meat for us though - it will be chicken but I will do stuffing, cauliflower cheese, roast parsnips and spuds. Also carrots and broccoli and maybe some peas - will do enough so he can take some back for dinner tomorrow. It is a meal that brings family together.

I really miss cooking for crowds Sad
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
No Sunday dinner here, never has been, even though P was brought up with proper Sunday lunch dead on time at 1.00pm.
When we were both employed Saturday and Sunday were 'working' days, usually in the garden. If we had stopped to eat midday, we'd never have got anything done, so weekend meals were usually rapid ones. Sunday was historically a getting down and dirty day so we would need baths to clean up and get ready for Monday work, so once again easy quick meals. Never bothered too much with roasts, except at Christmas.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I was brought up on having our dinner bang on 12 o'clock, our cooked meal for the day. I often cooked it from a very tender age.

No particular Sunday dinner when I grew up, but we always ate well, but at lunch time, not in the evening. Evening meals would be lighter, sometimes pancakes, or black pudding with lingonberry sauce. Sometimes just sandwiches.

Now, I almost always do a full Sunday roast of any nice piece of meat we've picked up on our travels. My absolute favourite is a roast chicken, and whatever we have, it'll have all the trimmings. But like you've already said, on a Sunday it's just terrible timing to try and do it for lunch time, so it's always later on in the day.

Today for example, I was out thrashing the concrete with the jackhammer until 4pm, so Emily is cooking dinner and it won't be a roast. I might just do that tomorrow instead, as I'm working from home and can get things going half way through the afternoon without too much disruption.

I'm with you Vinny - long live the Sunday roast!
[-] The following 4 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, PyreneesPlot

Bren Offline
We eat in the evening around 7ish its not always a ‘proper dinner’ or even a cooked meal it depends what we’ve been doing in the day.
As a kid we’d eat Sunday dinner at 3pm after the pub closed, the rest of the week it depended on what hours my parents worked.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Vinny Offline
(23-01-2022, 06:29 PM)Bren Wrote: We eat in the evening around 7ish  its not always a ‘proper dinner’ or even a cooked meal it depends what we’ve been doing in the day.
As a kid we’d eat Sunday dinner at 3pm after the pub closed, the rest of the week it depended on what hours my parents worked.
I remember as a teenager coming home on sunday with my Dad when the club closed. The dinner was always 'kizzled' with the gravy dried up around the edges as my mam just bunged it in a low oven already plated up. It didn't really matter what it was like after a skinful at the club, it all went down the hatch followed by in afternoon kip before pubs opened again in the evening. Blush
I have to say I went tee-total about 20 years ago so dinner is always eaten freshly made now, with no gravy rim around the edge.

Shops being open on Sunday and it being treated as a normal working day by some, vegetariansism, along with most women work to help to pay the mortgage these days means that the traditional Sunday Lunch/dinner is left to the realms of us dinosaurs who are stuck in the dark ages Rolleyes . (And happy to be so, I may add) Tongue
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Broadway Offline
We eat in the evening but where possibly I like a Sunday roastSmile
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
As a kid, it was always Sunday Lunch at 1 before we were packed off to Sunday School. When we came out of chapel we walked about half a mile to buy a brick of icecream ( vanilla, strawberry and three colours if they had it in stock) and walked home with it wrapped in white paper (we didn't have a fridge or freezer so most things were bought when needed). Aunt, Uncle and cousins would arrive for High Tea (jelly, trifle, that sort of stuff) and we'd play Newmarket, using the same bowl of pennies that came out every Sunday.
Once married & working, the weekends were the only days to catch up on housework, gardening and days out, so Sunday dinner was an evening meal with enough leftover to last a couple of days without needing much cooking.
Sunday is just another day now and I prefer to eat in the evening. Tonight was tuna and sweetcorn pasta - not exactly traditional Sunday fodder.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(23-01-2022, 10:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: As a kid, it was always Sunday Lunch at 1 before we were packed off to Sunday School. When we came out of chapel we walked about half a mile to buy a brick of icecream ( vanilla, strawberry and three colours if they had it in stock) and walked home with it wrapped in white paper (we didn't have a fridge or freezer so most things were bought when needed). Aunt, Uncle and cousins would arrive for High Tea (jelly, trifle, that sort of stuff) and we'd play Newmarket, using the same bowl of pennies that came out every Sunday.
Once married & working, the weekends were the only days to catch up on housework, gardening and days out, so Sunday dinner was an evening meal with enough leftover to last a couple of days without needing much cooking.
Sunday is just another day now and I prefer to eat in the evening. Tonight was tuna and sweetcorn pasta - not exactly traditional Sunday fodder.
You've just brought back a few memories there Veggie from when I was a kid. Rolleyes It was always custard and jelly when we came home from Sunday School with a huge plate of bread cut into doorsteps and slathered with margerine in the middle of the table to help yourself. Smile  I still usually eat bread and butter (posh now) with my custard and jelly. It used to annoy the hell out of Helen!
We also used to get an old penny for the collection, which we used to put in the Beechnut machine on the shop wall which was next to the church. Every forth penny you used to get TWO packets of beechnuts! Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
As a kid growing up, on Sunday my 2 brothers and I had mass at 10:00, (my parents would have been at 9:00)and the pipe band practice from 11:00 to 13:00, then home for Sunday roast dinner circa 13:30. It would be chicken, beef (generally housekeepers cut) or if we were lucky a leg of lamb, sometimes it might not be roast it might be boiled bacon, ham or corned beef. When roast there were always roast potatoes and gravy, we never had Yorkshire pud (which I love) my mother never made them despite all her cooking and baking abilities. I had my first Yorkshire pud when I was about 21 or 22 on my first visit to my wife’s family in London and fell in love with them.
My mother always made sure there was enough of the roast meat left over on a Sunday for Monday sandwiches for my brokers and I going to school, my father was able to slice roast beef paper thin and stretch it. I lover roast beef sandwiches with brown sauce especially YR sauce.
Here at home as it’s generally my wife and I we still often have a roast on a Sunday but it will always be in the evening, as I like to spend time in the garden/tunnel on a Sunday, if we have chicken I buy the stuffed breasts on the bone an cook 1 each for us.
I love if guests are over for dinner on a Sunday especially my children and grandchildren then we have dinner about 4 and we’ll do a roast pork dish with cracking and stuffing and Yorkshire puds but I’m afraid I can’t make them it’s Aunt Bessy’s from the freezer.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie