Scarlets Cut Flower Patch 2022/23/24
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ok....it's so windy out there that I'm sowing more seed. My old greenhouse has already lost some glass. Everything else seems ok.

So in the prop so far:
Celosia
Rudbeckia - Sahara.
More straw flowers - deep red
Stocks - apple blossom
Billy buttons.
China asters - apricot
Achillea - love parade

Some of the dahlias have been attacked by mice - they obviously like the taste.
I'm currently cleaning them up and separating in smaller pieces.! They have nibbled lots of the packaging and the boxes have nests in Sad ...they messed up my labelling system.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've a few more things to sow - but now I'm really worried about spacing!

It's dark now and the wind is still howling. I'm going that no more glass goes tonight and there will be some calm tomorrow so I can fix some of the damage. I have a few panes of spare glass
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Celosia
Billy Buttons
China Asters - apricot
Have all germinated and been taken out of the prop and put upto to the greenhouse. I've covered these over with some clear lids to get the stragglers to pop.

I popped in some king size asters, cornflowers, clary Sage and black scabious yesterday.
  • Farendwoman, Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
You are busy busy busy, Scarlet.
You put me to shame!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Might have missed it - but do you heat your greenhouse for the germinated seedlings you take out of your propagator?

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-02-2022, 12:30 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: Might have missed it - but do you heat your greenhouse for the germinated seedlings you take out of your propagator?
I have got a heated bench - I bought it last year. I looked into making one and thought it was way past my skills - actually it was buying in the correct stuff that got me worried. So I bought a roll out foil one from hotbox international. I love it. I have it set to 18 and I cover over everything that goes on it. When the seedlings get a couple of leaves they get moved off to give way for the next batch.

So a two step process - germination in the prop. First leaves on the heated bench.
  • Farendwoman, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Stocks and love parade achillea are up and will be taken up to the greenhouse in a bit. No sign of the rudbeckia.

I still have a greenhouse full of anemones. Too windy even to think about making a tunnel so things have stalled a bit.

I did fix the greenhouse glass yesterday. 4 panes broke. I had to take out 2 complete panels. I'm not sure what has happened but I can't open the door ( this is my old secondhand greenhouse). It's jammed in place. My husband will have a little look at it later. Fingers crossed it can be fixed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Norfolk Grey

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well my clary sage havent germinated Sad I've lost my new saved seed - I'll probably find that in September! The older one has only had 2 pop. Will have a good look today.

More stuff sown:
Fox gloves - pam split
Amaranth - green thumb
Amaranth - coral
Grass mix

There maybe a couple of other things that I've forgotten.

Starting to harden off some of the hardy stuff now.
Outside:
Orlaya - not doing to good as it has had a hammering from mice
Ammi
Daucus
Anemones
Sweet rocket
Sweet William - these are supposed to be an "annual" - so I'm really hoping they flower. They were sown November ish. They are quite small. Got them from Wilco for 50p. I really hope they do flower this year.

Will start getting the sweet peas out today.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
I've sown some sunflowers! Not quite keeping pace Wink
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-03-2022, 02:37 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: I've sown some sunflowers! Not quite keeping pace Wink
I haven't done sun flowers yet!
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot