Scarlets Cut Flower Patch 2022/23/24
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I dug up some more mint roots and potted them up in some pots in the greenhouse.

I managed to wet my snapdragon seeds -
So I've set those into a couple of trays and put into the propagator.
So:
Tetra Ruffled Giant Snaps - in the prop
Consolida blue cloud Larkspur - in the fridge

I also measured up my raspberry patch...I need to work out how much space I will give for the raspbs, and how many flowers I can fit in.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sidalcea - went in the Fridhe on the 7th Jan
in the prop on the 23rd.

I've checked this morning and quite a few have germinated - surprised at that as it did say 21 days on the pack.

So they are now out in the greenhouse on the heat mat. I'm hoping it's not too early for these.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've sown sown some more lavatera in the hope they germinate. Not having much luck with those.
Potted on a couple of bells of Ireland
Pricked out the vabascum seedlings

Sown Chabaud carnations - never tried these from seed...
  • Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Norfolk Grey Offline
Pest Controller
Love the thread and the vid. Can't wait to see how party girl does (never heard of it before). As for bells of Ireland, for me it was about where I got the seeds from as it tended to be all or nothing.
1 seed, 2 seed, 3 seed, 4....
5 seed, 6 seed, 7 seed, more!
[-] The following 2 users Like Norfolk Grey's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(05-02-2022, 06:03 PM)Norfolk Grey Wrote: Love the thread and the vid. Can't wait to see how party girl does (never heard of it before). As for bells of Ireland, for me it was about where I got the seeds from as it tended to be all or nothing.
Thank you Smile

I agree with that - but I ordered from Chilterns and on the back it said "on testing germination was under par - we have in increased seed content to make up for this" Sad
Ive had this on a couple of packs. I also bought some eucalyptus seeds last autumn. Not one of those sprouted. I know seed isn't costly but it does mount up and I find it really annoying when I have poor germination.
That said - a few more bells have popped today Smile
  • Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday I dug a little more of my patch - little and often. I started it on the weekend. I have decided that there's no way I will have enough compost to do no dig. It's hard work collecting it. Petrol costs etc and I'm also bringing in lots of weeds etc. one year I added in alpaca poo and spent forever weeding. So to keep cost down and enable me to do it in small chunks.
My path through the middle is quite low too so I don't want it rising up lots....
So I have decided to dig slowly at home.

I've marked out 5x 15 ft beds 4 ft wide each. With just a 2ft wide path. I know that's narrow but that width worked for me on the opposite side.

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday I also potted on my autumn sown Daucus and Ammi.

Sowed:
Gypsophila "kermesina" - a pink variety
Bupleurum - garibaldi.
Statice
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Norfolk Grey

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So the Gypsophila has germinated already - that went upto the greenhouse this morning.

I didn't do any gardening today - very cold wind. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So the statice is up today. Whipped it out from my prop and they have now been moved to the greenhouse.

I've taken out all my sweet rocket seedlings and have them under fleece outside. I maybe should do the in/out of the greenhouse but I think the fleece should do the job. They will get watered in the rain too which is a bonus.
  • Norfolk Grey, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So I've now got 1 and 3/4 of my 5 beds dug. Progress is slow, I don't dig that well but I am slowly chipping away at it. I will order my plastic tomorrow to make my tunnel to fit. Shame it's raining as I wanted to work out how wide I need it. I've got plastic heating cables to make the hoops. If anyone had any better ideas please shout.

The first of the anemones ....

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Norfolk Grey, Veggie