Scarlets Cut Flower Patch 2022/23/24
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Very pretty.
Is that euphorbia? I tried mine for bunches last year and it just wilted. It’s the more bronze coloured one.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(18-04-2023, 08:04 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Very pretty.
Is that euphorbia? I tried mine for bunches last year and it just wilted. It’s the more bronze coloured one.
Yes - euphorbia, they can be tricky if not cut at the correct time. They need to be cut when mature. Remove all foliage from the lower stem ( wear gloves) and sear in hot water, then put in deep cold water overnight.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I tried to be productive today as the forecast is awful tomorrow... it was lovely and sunny but so windy!!
I managed to cover one bed with weed fabric and I planted through it. Hoping that its enough to stop most of the grass....

Approx 26 bellsmof ireland planted. Just a few ranunculus left to go.
I need to start sowing extras for plants to fill in holes.
Everything still looks super small.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
You’re not the only one with super small stuff.
Can’t imagine it can possibly catch up. Feel as if I’ve completely lost four weeks.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-04-2023, 05:55 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: You’re not the only one with super small stuff.
Can’t imagine it can possibly catch up. Feel as if I’ve completely lost four weeks.
I keep thinking its my compost...but its been cold and dull. Losing my autumn sown stuff has been such a blow
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Greenhouse update - dahlia cuttings. Again it hasnt been straightforward for me. I think they need constant misting? Misting and also keeping covered has helped, tried wet newspapers and clingfilm. 

Not got as many as I would have liked! But this will do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller

Started planting up my new area. I was hoping to mulch this and weed sheet the paths as I have no way of mowing them.... maybe I need to buy a lawnmower Big Grin I did try a petrol mower once - but it was too fast!
Anyway, Ive decide to plant through weed sheet this year on half the beds to keep the grass at bay. Planted in 30 ammi and finished off the bells of ireland.

I only have 6 beds of this size. I have zinnias, amatanth, snap dragons and statice plants. Much more than i have room for. I have to decide which plants will give me more to cut for the space.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Looking very good
Most of my annuals are still too small to go out.
I’ve only planted out cornflowers and sweet peas so far which are both doing ok.
Need to start resowing all the things that have fizzled out on me!
Failed completely with cosmos, clary and statice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(23-04-2023, 08:48 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: Looking very good
Most of my annuals are still too small to go out.
I’ve only planted out cornflowers and sweet peas so far which are both doing ok.
Need to start resowing all the things that have fizzled out on me!
Failed completely with cosmos, clary and statice.
The sale is on this weekend at the big nursery - are you going?

Farendwoman Offline
Oooh! Very tempting.
The trouble is that I’ve got so much stuff around waiting to be attended to. Not sure if I could justify importing even more plants to my other half
What used to be a “patio/terrace” is now a collection of plastic mushroom trays full of dead and dying plants. Seed trays full of dead and dying plants, empty pots, buckets of grit, bags of compost.watering cans etc.
Honestly I have to walk outside with blinkers on!
I think I’m going to have to give it a miss this time - though I shall be very jealous when you report back about all the wonderful plants you’ve bought.
I shall definitely get there for the Autumn Sale though - see you there!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie